Roasted barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_master

Reaction score
I want to make guinness clone,i have everything beside roasted barley and cant get it anywhere.
I can buy 2-row unmalted barley but its pain in the a... ,i was thinking can i use barley for cattle(food for cattle) and roast it as im going to use it just for flavor.

You could do that, but in the wonderful world of online shopping you'll probably have better results. That said... if you try this, let us know how it turns out.

Also keep in mind that there are different regulations on food meant for people and food okay to feed to animals. You might have a higher percentage of mouse droppings or something.

FYI, Guinness sours a small portion of it's beer and adds it into the fresh beer. Without this step (or something to approximate it), it won't have that tangy flavor Guiness is known for.

You should be able to get the barley roasted well enough, but if you need any specialty grains and have the money to import them, I'd advise that you look into sources that are relatively close to you.

Being it that I can't really speak german all that well I can only suggest this possible english source: http://www.greencore.ie/malt/Brew.asp; but I'm sure you can also find sources in germany, maybe northern italy, the czech republic or poland

Yeah i can get it in Cro,but min. 50kg of it..Nice.. As same with everything else beside hops and yeast.

Feed barley will be just fine in this case, you won't be using all that much of it. Most feed barley is 2-row anyway. Roasting it properly will be the biggest problem, as there is a fine line between 550L and burnt.

Back