Chugger center inlet adapter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmwils1

Reaction score
What are people using to connect tubing to this? I'm using blichmann quick connects for everything, so I'd prefer a 1/2" thread instead of a 3/4". Does a 3/4 to 1/2 stainless elbow exist? I know I've seen bushing adapters, but then I'd have to add a 1/2" to 1/2" male.

I'm not familiar with the blichmann QC's, but I use a 3/4 to 1/2 reducing coupler and an F type camlock. I prefer connecting straight in, so I'm happy like that.
For your application, I would guess the 3/4 to 1/2 reducer + female elbow + close nipple would probably be the cheapest option.
3/4 female to 1/2 male elbows seem to be real hard to find.

I would just use this fitting (it's what's on my center inlet, stainless, pump head). You could put an elbow on it after if you really want to. Personally, I don't see the need for the additional fitting though.

I ended up getting a 3/4 female to 1/2 male thread adapter from mcmaster to minimize the amount of fittings threaded on. Total rip off at $35 but not a lot of options out there. Wish there was a 1/2" center thread SS pump head...

For that price, I would have waited for Bargain Fittings to get their item back in stock. Considering it's all of $4.50 each.

Oh, and More Beer has them in stock... If you placed the order online, I'd cancel it.
BTW, you hit the wrong part number, it's 51205K324

Sorry, fixed the link. I picked up the 3/4 to 1/2 adapter from McMaster because the coupler you linked on more beer requires screwing this nipple on to the coupler to make the fitting i wanted. I'd like to minimize the threaded connections. But the cost of the coupler and nipple is only $10 compared to the $35 adapter on Mcmaster.

I use all camlock QD's on my silicone tubing, which are pretty low cost. I don't see how spending $30 more on the one fitting, that you still have to transition to the hose with, is a good idea. Especially since once it's installed, you're probably not going to remove it.

As for the 'extra' nipple, not needed at all. I simply used a male threaded camlock fitting (male threads) to connect to the coupler. So, one adapter, one QD and good to go. My cost, to adapt the inlet was $8.49 (plus shipping)...

Good points, but i already have the blichmann quick connects on all my tubing and the threaded nipple (or the adapter i got) is needed to continue with those. I appreciate the camlock recommendation though

I used the 3/4 inch center inlet chugger pumps on my Tower of Power / Top Tier set up. I decided to use my stainless steel QC's from Beer3. Used 3/4 inch S/S connector and 1/2 -> 3/4 inch S/S inlet reducer. Looked perfect. However, the reducer produced significant cavitation in the pump and cause me grief with temperature control/ pump overheat until I finally figured out the problem. Chugger pump people were kind enough to allow me to exchange for 1/2 inch inlet head and solved that problem. That said, I want to say the Chugger pump folks went out of thier way to take care of this customer. I give them two thumbs up for good service. Highly recommended.

Back