Questions on BevAir BM23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butchhe

Reaction score
I recently picked up a BevAir Kegerator on Craigslist for $50 in pretty decent shape. When I went to look at it the motor was quiet, all the fans worked and spun freely but it did not cool because the starter relay for the condenser, from what I was told, was busted and was removed.

Here's pictures of the relay and the part number.

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

Is the term "starter relay" the proper terminology and would this relay prevent the condenser from cooling it down?

I found what appears to be a replacement relay here, but the part number is a bit different.

Would it be worth it to get the relay and see if the condenser cools the fridge or is there a workaround temporarily to make sure it cools before I go dumping money into it?

Thanks for your input.

If you live anywhere where a professional technician can come and look at, I'd say it's worth it. I'm sure you know the retail value of your cheap score. Find out from a pro.

I agree with sawboss get a refrigeration guy to check it for you a bev air is a beautiful kegerator so for a few bucks why risk not having it checked out fully to find out exactly what you need

The picture is of the starter relay there should also have been a black part connected to the compressor which is the overload. You would be better off checking HP of compressor and getting a 3n1 starter/cap/overload any appliance supply house will have in stock.....IMHO

Thanks for heads up on the proper name. The overload is connected to the compressor. I didn't know they made 3n1. I might have to locate one. Thanks a million for the tip.

I've been looking to get a 3'n1 but cannot find the horsepower listing on the compressor at all. I know that the new BM23s have 1/5th hp, so that's probably about what I need, but I want to be certain before I purchase it. I took some pictures to see if you might be able to guide me in the right direction.

IMG1053.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG1056.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG1060.jpg
[/IMG]

I did a search on the compressor itself through the manufactures website and only could confirm that it needed R12 or R500.

I did ran the serial number on the bev air page to get some specifics and it comes back with it not being a valid number. It appears I'm one number shy of a good number.

I appreciate any help in getting me started in the right direction.

I prefer the Supco Model RC410 they are 1/4-1/3 hp, you can also see if they carry the other models which have a broader hp range, but based on the amp draw this is the one I would try.

I just noticed you were from NPR. I bought this from a guy in Tampa when I was visiting my parents in Spring Hill a few weeks ago...small world.

I finally got around to installing the 3'n1 today. The install was quick and easy, but I had to cut several inches of the original power cable since the housing was brittle. Once I plugged it in, the compressor kicked in after a few seconds. I let it run for about 30 minutes, but it didn't cool. The compressor was pretty hot so I will take it to an a/c place and let them check it to be sure it has enough refrigerant in it.

IMAG0149.jpg

It would have been nice, but that was the risk I took when I purchased it. my line of thinking was if it doesn't work, I could have sold it for $50 in parts.

Just noticed that system has been opened (which means someone cut into the system and installed the fitting in front of the the 3 in 1) so it maybe switched over to 134A or a R-12 replacement My bet based on the facts is lost charge, undercharged units usually will frost up the discharge line, compressors will get pretty hot while running. A refrigerant tech can check charge and leak test the unit.

Good eyes man! My guess is that is the R-12 replacement because when I was researching the compressor serial number, the manufacturer's website says that the compressor is only rated for R-12/R-12 replacement (R500). If I can find a local a/c place open tomorrow, I'll drop it off there and see what they say.

Been quite busy the last few weeks but I was able to find a place about 30 minutes from me that will work on the older R-12 systems. They close at 5 so I have to leave work early to make it up there in time. Hopefully things will be slower this week so I can slip out for a few hours.

I was able to get it into a shop to take a look at it. I will be needing a new compressor and dryer to the tune of $400+ for the complete job! Ouch. That's switching over to R134. I'm thinking I might be better off just scrapping it and getting a small fridge.

What would you do?

Why can't they keep the compressor and just put some r-12 in? Just look on craigslist. You can usually get a 12-16oz can for under $30. Stop by an hvac store. They will " know a guy" that can fix it.

From what the guy was telling me, the compressor is bad and they do not make the R-12 version anymore which means they have to switch everything over to R-134.

From what the guy was telling me, the compressor is bad and they do not make the R-12 version anymore which means they have to switch everything over to R-134.

Have a R-12 compressor will check size this weekend. You cover shipping and it's yours. Checked and it will work for your needs, To bad your not heading down this way could swap it out and pull vacuum I don't have any mix gas for R-12 anymore. :(

That would be awesome if u have one that would fit. I really appreciate that. It would make it easier if I was heading that way, but this could put me one step closer to getting the kegerator back in action.

Back