Seattle Pickin' Time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maztec

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I keep running into people who have just picked their hops up here. However, mine don't feel or smell like they are ready yet. I had someone tell me the other day that if I don't pick them this week they'll probably go to waste (rain, wind, too old). Except, my spot is fairly sheltered (dry through yesterday's torrential rain) and, quite frankly, my hops still seem too green. They only really took off and became hoplike in size and form about two or three weeks ago. I'm thinking I have between 2 and 4 weeks before they should be picked, but this is my first harvest (the vines are second year, previous home owner planted them).

Thoughts?

Not to mention, I have no idea what type of hops they are :\ I didn't plant'm, and the previous owner isn't sayin'.

Thew winds are a concern, especially those a couple days ago ...but I still have my Cascades on the bine, they are not ready yet but should be soon (within the week). I have picked my first year Mt Hood and Willamette - they were done.

I think that if they are not done, then wait. Watch them and be ready to pick. I would pull a few in the middle, cut them down the middle and get an idea of the lupulin inside.

I am north of you in Burlington. My hops are definitely not ready yet. I have picked them early and they get a grassy taste in the beer.
I know the weather is not in our favor, but I am sticking it out. I hope it is sunny for long enough to have the cones show some dry tips. If so, I have a bumper crop of Fuggles this year, and a few Cascades.

Well after today's winds, I'm concerned enough to second guess my advice. I'll see what they look like tomorrow morning to make a decision.

So, I was down in Oregon visiting some relatives, and noticed that they had planted some hops (apparently they like my beer and want to support it ... but have no idea what type of hop they planted). I went ahead and picked them, because if anything they were past picking time.

However, they had thin threads growing out of the hops, dark brown.... I haven't seen any mention of those anywhere. What are they, does that mean the hops are too old? I noticed that one of my hop bines at home also has some threads that started coming out over the weekend (not dark/brown yet though).

Gah, I get this figured out, and I am definitely going to have to put together an illustrated guide to hops and picking them. Or is there one already and I just haven't found it?

Latest posts

Back