Bombers vs 12oz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepDiver

Reaction score
Looking at the bottle thread made me wonder why most people have 12 oz vs 22 oz bottles. I figured that the 22 oz would make bottling easier, so started collecting them a couple of months ago, and have basically stopped buying 12 oz bottles for the most part. (getting kind of tired of Fisher amber, but the large flip top bottles are cheaper full, than buying them at the LHBS) Also bought a couple of cases of bombers. I figured I'd bottle a few of 12oz ones for testing carbonation at week 2, 3 and 4, and leave the bombers alone until then.

Should I be saving more 12 oz bottles for any reason. I also find a bomber a good size for drinking. 12 oz makes me just want to have another, then I figure I have had 2 so might as well have 3, then the other 3 in the six pack look lonely so I might as well finish them off. If I have one bomber then I am usually good.

The one issue I can see is with the bomber having to pour out into the glass a couple of times, unless I get some bigger glasses/

I suppose if I were more honest with myself I'd buy more bombers, since I almost never just drink 12oz of beer in one sitting :p

I agree, the only part that sucks is the second pour. But I've solved this with some nice 20oz glasses! And if you plan to take your beer to a party, or to a brew club meeting just bring a pitcher so you don't have to stop your pour. I got a couple cases of 22oz bottles from CL and bought a case of Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale in 24oz bottles, so I'm set if I need to bottle a batch.

What I don't keg goes in 500ml swings for in-house use or bombers for sharing. Only annoying part is most competitions only accept 12oz.

and sometimes you don't want to give away a 22 oz, some only _______
a) want b) need c) deserve a 12 oz bottle :)

I love them - perfect size for me.... and the best way to solve the second pour it to have two bottles and share with a friend.... :)

Plus be aware that bombers will carbonate differently and take longer to age.

Larger bottles need less priming sugar. Just like Party Pigs need 1/3 less priming sugar.

I have no problem with 12 oz bottles but always have 2 or 3 flip top bombers mixed in with the batch.

I only buy 12 ounce bottles - they are easy to come by, and as an added bonus, you can get them with some pretty good beers in them.

I've been beefing up my bomber collection as well (Picked up several at the last brewfest I went to, love free bottles). I keg, so I'll bottle in both kinds when I need to give some away. If it is for presents I might use the bombers, if mailing it I'll probably use 12 ouncers since I can send more variety that way. Also for competitions you need the plain 12 ounce bottles.

i've done half 22/12oz bottles for a few batches, that's worked well.

+1

I find that bottling ~8-12 - 12oz, and the rest in 22oz is the way to go. This gives me the freedom to taste smaller amounts during the aging process to see how its doing. Once Im confident its ready for consumption, the 22oz start getting popped.

I have been slowly aquiring 16 oz. swing tops. I find that 16 oz fits in my 20 oz glass with room for the head. 16 oz is about the right size for my comsupation rate as well. Currently Mid-West supply has them on sale for 11.95 a case (12) plus shipping. I have managed to get 5 cases so far.

Plus be aware that bombers will carbonate differently and take longer to age.

Larger bottles need less priming sugar.

I have found my larger 750 ml bottles to carb way slower than my 12 oz bottles with the same batch of beer bottled same day with same priming amount, so i would enjoy an explanation or a link as why the bigger bottles would need less priming sugar?
Seems counterintuitive but i'm sure there is a scientific explanation behind this.

Thanks in advance :)

I'm still working on building up my 22oz bottles. I've been bottling 2 bombers per batch and putting them away to age. As long as I don't hit a dry spell I should end up with a nice assortment of aged beer in a year or so.

The real question should be "kegs vs. bombers"!!!! Before I started kegging I used bombers. Less work and I rarely ever drink just one 12 oz. beer. Kegging is so much easier though... zI haven't bottled since I got my kegs. Extra kegs are cheaper too. I can get a used corny in SLC for $20. What's not to love about that? If someone wants some of my beer to take home they are more than welcome to come over, bottle it, clean up the mess, and wait a month to drink it. Me, I'll just keep kegging, force carb, and be drinking my beer in a day or two.

The real question should be "kegs vs. bombers"!!!! Before I started kegging I used bombers. Less work and I rarely ever drink just one 12 oz. beer. Kegging is so much easier though... zI haven't bottled since I got my kegs. Extra kegs are cheaper too. I can get a used corny in SLC for $20. What's not to love about that? If someone wants some of my beer to take home they are more than welcome to come over, bottle it, clean up the mess, and wait a month to drink it. Me, I'll just keep kegging, force carb, and be drinking my beer in a day or two.

How does this help the OP. Kegging versus bottling has been beaten to death!

If I had the room for a kegerator, and a load of extra space to store kegs (bottles can be stored easily under the stairs in spaces that kegs wouldn't fit), then yeah that would be a good way to go. But since I don't have the room, and won't be expanding my townhouse anytime soon, then kegging is out of the question.

Back