Old beer bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzy

Reaction score
My friend bought 3 cases of old beer bottles at an auction. One case of Pabst Blue Ribbon, one case of Hamm's, and one case of Black Label. The labels on the bottles are in good condition and the cases are in fair condition. My question is should I remove the labels and use these bottles for home brew?? Or would it be bad if I did this because they may be worth something to a collector? He paid $2.00 for all three cases.

What do you think??

I think you only need one post to cover this topic ;)

2 bucks....personally, I would proceed with using them for homebrew unless they were really old and I took the time to investigate on ebay or elsewhere if they had any major value.

Put them into service.
They are probably the old returnable bottles, which are great for homebrewers.
Thicker, heavier glass, they were made to be reused-washed and refilled many times, plus the cases are heavier/sturdier. I have 5 or 6 cases.
Occasionally when capping, I'll break a neck off of a non-returnable bottle. This has not happened with the older bottles.

Back