World's most expensive beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So we should start a list:

What is the most expensive beer you have bought ($/oz, not bottle)?

For me, I believe it was Sam Adams Triple Bock. Almost made my vomit and a buddy almost threw it in my face because he thought I was play a practical joke on him.

WOW! I'd only heard of Utopias. Sadly, I'll likely never be able to bring myself to spend that much money on a beer.

Beerrific said:
So we should start a list:

What is the most expensive beer you have bought ($/oz, not bottle)?

For me, I believe it was Sam Adams Triple Bock. Almost made my vomit and a buddy almost threw it in my face because he thought I was play a practical joke on him.

I have had the Triple Bock from multiple years. It's a tough one to get the taste of if you're not expecting it.

I also have a 2005 bottle of Utopias. :)

Expensive but not too crazy compared to wine. I could see buying the Sam Adams one maybe as a nice birthday gift.

That Tutankhamen Brew sounds interesting, actually, just because I'd like to see what beer tasted like back then. $52 a bottle really isn't bad (though tell that to SWMBO, I bet), though I'd be worried about whether or not it's good after having been stored in clear bottles. Of course, were hops necessarily used?

I heard from SWMBO (who is an archaeologist) that a bunch of archaeologists found a kind of pit that they couldn't figure out--until they made beer in it. It was a really old brewery and the beer supposedly tasted awesome.

I got a bottle of Thomas Hardy Ale a couple of months ago. Only $10.00 for a 250 ml bottle so not in the range of the ones here. I really didn't like it.

I realize it was complex and interesting. It reminded me of reading Prost. I recognize the craft and why people think it brilliant but I didn't find it an enjoyable experience.

Just as well for me. If my tastes start to run that high I'd soon be broke.

Rudeboy

ps What type of beer is Utopia anyway?

From Sam Adams:
Truly the epitome of brewing's two thousand year evolution, Samuel Adams Utopias™ offers a flavor not just unlike any other beer but unlike any other beverage in the world. Its warm, sweet flavor is richly highlighted with hints of vanilla, oak and caramel. Our 2005 batch topped out at 25% ABV, beating the records that Samuel Adams® Triple Bock® and Samuel Adams® Millennium had set before it. And like those groundbreaking brews, Samuel Adams Utopias™ is not carbonated and should be served at room temperature. In one of many examples where Samuel Adams Utopias™ pushed the boundaries of beer, it received the highest recommendation (96-100 points) from the prestigious Wine Enthusiast Magazine (November, 2003 edition).

Not carbonated. I'll have to pass.

Flights - $5000. (wife and kid also)
Taxi from Airport - nil (Parents picked us up)
Train to Edinburgh - $20
Taxi to old local pub $10
Pint of Callie /80 $4

Total cost : $5034
And worth every god dam sip. (and the 2,3,4,5th after were just as nice!)

You know, when I was in Edinburgh I asked what a good beer would be and they gave me Tennent's. It was good, don't get me wrong (especially when I later stayed a few blocks away from the brewery in Glasgow), but I wouldn't describe it as "worth every god damn sip." Oh well, just going to have to go back I suppose...

Most expensive bottle i have every bought is Cantillon (the wine Lambic) cant remember the name. 40 bucks for a 750ml bottle.

~$1.60 per ounce.

well worth it.

Well, most expensive beer I've ever bought was Heineken (I use it for cooking), so I guess I'm not quite in the same range as the rest of you...

But that Utopia bottle is just drop dead gorgeous...:cross:

Holy ****, you dug up a moldy old thread! :cross:

Actually, I did...

Now I remember I had done a search a couple of hours ago, and I left with the thread on my screen. When I came back and replied, I didn't even realized how old the thread was...:D

Yeah this is an oldy thread. Funny how the original link still works. Before realizing how zombie thread this is I was gonna respond to Sigafoos' post, "That Tutankhamen Brew sounds interesting, actually, just because I'd like to see what beer tasted like back then"

and say... how would you feel if that ancient Eyptian beer recreation tasted exactly like Corona? LOL.

Rev.

Yeah this is an oldy thread. Funny how the original link still works. Before realizing how zombie thread this is I was gonna respond to Sigafoos' post, "That Tutankhamen Brew sounds interesting, actually, just because I'd like to see what beer tasted like back then"

and say... how would you feel if that ancient Eyptian beer recreation tasted exactly like Corona? LOL.

Rev.

Well...I had Dogfish Head's "Midas Touch", which is based on an ancient recipe.

It was terrible.

Jim Koch himself poured me a glass of Utopia back in 2009 at Aspen Food and Wine fest. I'm really glad I didn't pay for it.

my uncle bought two utopia's i had a couple sips, i thought it was ok... it taste like straight maple syrup.. (wasn't all that great, for the amount of money)

damn, i have midas touch in the fridge waiting to be tried.. that sucks (well 5 bucks gone)

most expensive was prob dogfish head 120 minute (12 dollars after tax and all that up there)

The most expensive beer I've ever bought was probably a bucket of bud light at a concert. $45 for a bucket of 5 (16-oz aluminum bottles)! Woot!!! Woot!!!

I've never had The End of History, but I had a bottle of Sink The Bismarck (44% ABV) from Brewdog a few weeks back. $130.00 a bottle and its smaller than a 750mL.

Tasted like a nice scotch. Burnt all the way down. It was fun to try but in no way was it a good beer in my opinion.

You can read my full review of it at www.beergeekheaven.com

Back