Worst addiction yet...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Not really, but it's getting there. I haven't been able to brew for almost 3 months due to my overseas move coming up and I had plenty of homebrew already bottled. I want to brew so bad... in fact, I neeeed to brew. I quit doing drugs about 2 years ago, I quit playing online poker over a year ago and I quit cigarettes almost 6 months ago. All of those, cold turkey, no desire to do again.... but I'm about to lose it if I don't brew soon. My brewing supplies should be delivered in the states in about 4 weeks from today... I don't know if I can make it that long..... I'm probably gonna wind up buying new gear right when I get to Texas. If I can actually make it 4 weeks, I'll be brewing every night for a week straight.. I am going to fill ALL of my frementers.

Anyway, a little drunk on Kostriker and ranting....

It's like the expression: It's only kinky if somebody gets hurt.

If you don't hurt anything/body by brewing, it's ok.

Or something like that.

Where in Tejas you moving to again? If it is anywhere near Dallas, Swing by. We will have a brewathon.

Wichita Falls, couple hours out. I'd love to hit up a brewathon, let me know when you are plannin something. I wasn't a brewer when I was living in the states so haven't enjoyed the pleasures of hanging out with other homebrewers.

I feel your pain as I have had a similar adventure to Europe, but I have been away from brewing for a year. There was no way I could ship my gear, so I quit brewing cold turkey and went into research mode (hence joining HBT). I feel like the most education brewer ever who has never tried AG. We are also returning to the States in a few weeks where I have may B3 packaged waiting. :)

Hope you have a safe and uneventful return. I know I can't wait to be back in the good old USA.

Congrats on not smoking! I've been off them for 3 months now. But, as a consequence I've gained a little weight from my brewing monster. As far as addictions go, it could be much worse

Foreigner! Congratz! Quitting smoking is such a feat, before this it had never been more than 2 days! But, I actually lost weight when I quit. I had to do something to counteract the cravings and eating wasn't working. The withdrawals got so bad I started running :) I would run until I thought I was gonna pass out. I'm up to 6 miles now. Could hardly run a mile 6 months ago.

seefresh said:
Foreigner! Congratz! Quitting smoking is such a feat, before this it had never been more than 2 days! But, I actually lost weight when I quit. I had to do something to counteract the cravings and eating wasn't working. The withdrawals got so bad I started running :) I would run until I thought I was gonna pass out. I'm up to 6 miles now. Could hardly run a mile 6 months ago.

TY

I think what helped me most was this: smoking is not about the cigarette in yuor hand, its about theanticipation of the next one. Makes the one in your hand much less attractive.

My mild weight gain is likely a combo of being sedentary recently, quitting smoking, and homebrewing with a vengeance.

I tried running the other day (used to run like the wind) and could barely go 3 mins straight at a fast pace. 6 miles is awesome. I need to go into training I guess. I'm leaving for a week long portage trip in a few hours. I bet I'll get some good exercise then!

Again, good on you. Have fun on your upcoming brew!

seefresh said:
It takes me an hour to run 6 miles. My pace is terrible, my best one mile is 8 minutes.

For sure. I just meant that I ran for 2 mins and felt like a dead horse. so I walked alittle, ran a little more, walked a little...I would like to start running more tho.

What you gonna brew?

Foreigner said:
What you gonna brew?

ooooh man, I've been plotting it for a while. First up is a trappist, my own recipe, I'll put it away for sometime in 2008. The next day will be a hefe, so I have something good to drink soon. Over the next week I'll also brew a pumpkin spice ale and a stout, for the winter. I'll probably brew two or three more very soon after. Burn myself out, but have lots of beer in buckets, kegs and bottles and a take a few weeks off.

I've never kegged before and will be buying a kegerator and a few cornies as soon as I hit American soil.

sounds like a ton of fun. I am too impatient to wait for a nice big belgian :)

Good luck to you.

Back