Witbier/Hefeweizen for a 1st time brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubster

Reaction score
I am heading to the semi-local home brew store today to see what they have to offer. I really want to do a witbier or Hefeweizen and this will be my first time brewing beer. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a reason why a beginner shouldn't start with this style. It will be from extract and I will be doing a one gallon batch since I have all the equipment from making mead in one gallon batches. Once I figure out that I like brewing, I'll certainly move up to the big boy batches. THANKS!!!

The argument against would be that these require specialty yeasts that are best used in liquid form, and thus you'd be advised to make a starter.

But a starter isn't impossible, or you could splurge and buy two vials. Or maybe try a dry yeast for them.

Edit: Oops, one gallon batch means ignore the worries about a starter and/or two vials.

Wits and wheats are good first beers. They are "normal" gravity beers and don't require any special handling or aging.

Dry yeasts for this style will work great for now, with no worries. The beer will be good.

At the gravity of most wits and hefes, you would succeed just putting the yeast into the wort dry just before aeration stirs it in and get a good result.

Perfect to style? No. Tasty? Yes.

The wit will be more forgiving with the fermentation temperature. Hefeweizen yeast really need careful control to produce the right flavor profile. I don't know if there is a wit strain in dry form (there is a dry hefeweizen strain) but T-58 is a dry Belgian strain and could be used for a wit.

I'm drinking a Hefe I just made that got too warm. I second the suggestion of a Belgian yeast for ease of brew. At 68-72 this one is all clove, alas.

That said, a clovey hefeweizen is very pleasant in the ubiquitous blood orange hefeweizen. I should have added oranges.

Thanks again for the info. I am getting ready to give this a go. Hoping to get it started this weekend or early next week. I think I am going to do a small batch, like 2.5 gallons to start, that way I don't really need to buy any additional equipment, I can used what I have. I guess really all I'd really need to buy is a bucket and lid, maybe a long spoon. Not sure I have a pot large enough to do a huge boil though. Can you split the boil between two pots? I grabbed some wheat extract today, 3.3 pound can, some hops (1oz of Hallertau) and some German Wheat Wyeast in a smack pack. Other than that, I am not sure what I need. I've been searching recipes but there are SOOOOOOO many, it's quite confusing. If anyone can help with a pretty basic recipe to start with...I'd appreciate it greatly.

So I'm thinking this:

3.3 pounds of wheat extract (60 minute boil)
1/2 pound wheat dry malt extract @ 15 mins
1/2 oz Hallertau @ 60 minutes
1/2 oz coriander @ 60 minutes?
1/2 oz orange peel (bitter or sweet?) @ 60 minutes?

Weihenstephan Weizen smack pack after cool down.

Going for a 2.5 to 3 gallon brew.

Back