Is there a market for SS Motorized Ball Valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeeky

Reaction score
I have come to the realization that I enjoy building and modifying my brewery more then I enjoy using it. Went to AG after only 4 extract batches, propane to electric after 5 years AG, electric to full automated in the next 2 years :)

I would like to either use Brewtroller or BCS, but realize the largest expense is the motorized ball valves. Needing 10 for my current diagram that is roughly $530 after tax and shipping from OCSSYS (They only have 22 in stock).

Over the last month I've started talking with several makers direct from china. At ordering a qty of 20, I can get them down to roughly $43 a unit after all fees said and done.

I was curious if there was a large enough market/demand to either put together a group buy or offer a limited qty at $40-$45 depending on the qty ordered.

If you are seriously interested acquired for $40-$45 PM, if you just think it's a good or bad idea reply. OP, I PMed txBrew to see where I should locate this thread since GP forum is for ingredients only, but got no response.

Model I'm looking at acquiring:

CWX-15Q_Motorised_ball_valve_brochure.jpg

Would request CR03 Wiring

CR_Wiring_Connections.jpg

They also offer 3-way versions which would roughly be $10-$12 more a unit depending on qty ordered.

I just received 15 of these from the same supplier for about $475 shipped. Really good customer service and awesome price. I believe there is a price break at 100.

I too have purchased over 30 valves from these guys. They are great to work with, and everything worked perfectly. CR03 is the wiring configuration you will need for Brewtroller. I can't speak to BCS. I paid around $30/valve.

I can't quite read that spec sheet. What pressure do these support? Can I place them on the water supply from the house; or only on low pressure?

Wow it seems others are getting better pricing then I have found, will likely update thread after receiving more info.

If I can source them for under $30 a valve, I might pick up 50+ and offer them up.

Scott, I don't know what the pressure ratings are off the top of my head, but I do have mine installed on the water inlet from house with no issues.
Josh

Just wanted to mention if I end up making an order, I would like to offer anyone else interested to piggy back on my order, just cover the shipping cost from Ohio to your location. I would also be ordering additional for resale, at a mark up but still less then OCSYS. I will cross that bridge when it comes though, as I would intend on getting HBT vendor status.

Squeeky

Ok looks like the next price break is at 50+ units and it's a savings of $2 per valve.

I doubt I could get enough people interested to do an order larger then 50. The valves at qty for smaller orders are $32.08 a piece, not including duty tax. However from what everyone is saying it's under $20 for the entire order.

If anyone is interested I would like to start gathering names and qty needed if they were $33 a piece plus shipping from Ohio. If we get enough people to order over 50, the price would come down.

I'd like to thank jdub44 and maltose for sharing their contact info, same company just different salesperson.

I will point out that these are the cheaper version on motorized ball valves, KLD offers ones with manual override and indicator, however at qty of 20 they were still over $45 which is out of my budget. If you'd like a contact for them, just PM me.

Well in order to under promise and over deliver I'm going to stop taking names and qty's until I have the valves in hand. There are 36 requested between B9Brew, mmmbeer, nkryptit, and chancebrewing. Keeping 10 myself, I want to leave a margin of error (bad valve, extra fees, etc.). If there are any remaining I will likely offer on classifieds for a small markup. Currently awaiting reply regarding packaging, warranty, payment process, etc.

I did learn that OCSYS (Also carries same valve for $50) is actually the brains behind Brewtroller. I would ask that if anyone in the future plans on using the valves w/ Brewtroller that you order directly from them. Yes the valves are a little more, but they are in stock and I'm sure their profits go to continue their development.

I'll try and keep in contact regarding the order via PM and this thread. I doubt I'll hear anything over the weekend. Then again do the Chinese typically work weekends?

Got the e-mail I was expecting and everything looks good, I will stopping at my bank on Monday in order to do the T/T. They claim it will take 2-4 days to process and ship, and 3-8 for UPS. However not sure if that includes customs time. I would assume that if payments are made once in hand everyone should have their valves by mid-late April.

Thank you for those who have shown interest

Shipping is surprisingly super fast. I only had to pay the customs fee once. You will get a bill from ups after delivery if there is a fee.

Credit Union stated it was 20 for transfer, get there and they tell me I need an intermediate bank. 53rd says it's 45 at that price I doubt there is an intermediate bank. I'll transfer money to that account and get payment out Monday.

Payment sent this morning, I will let everyone know when I get a tracking number.

I did learn that OCSYS (Also carries same valve for $50) is actually the brains behind Brewtroller. I would ask that if anyone in the future plans on using the valves w/ Brewtroller that you order directly from them. Yes the valves are a little more, but they are in stock and I'm sure their profits go to continue their development.

Do you happen to have a link? I searched around on google and, for whatever reason, completely failed to find any OCSYS valves. Generally I'm pretty good at searching. Thanks :).

EDIT: just found the link in the parts thread: http://www.oscsys.com/

UPDATE

After sending payment on the third, I finally got response that it was received. Apparently they are out of stock on SS valve bodies. They are expecting 10,000 today or tomorrow and they will ship same day they come in. Hopefully I will have them at beginning of next week. Thanks guys for being patient.

Interested to hear how this works out. I may be interested in buying a couple of the extras off you.

Well I sent an e-mail last night in hopes for tracking info, which would have been Thursday in China. On Monday (China) I was told the valve bodies would be in Mon-Tues, and would only take an hour to produce. Therefore I assumed they would be shipping on Wednesday.

The following is my response:
Hi Christopher Ritchie,

Sorry for late.
As I inform you last time,we ordered Stainless Steel valve body for a large order,we will receive it today,and will send it to you tomorrow.

I'm sure I will have them by next week, and I would assume future orders will not be as delayed; just wanted to keep everyone in the loop.

Hi Christopher Ritchie,

Sorry for the late.

The goods is ready for ship,and I call UPS to ship the goods,but they say today is late for taking goods from our company.And tomorrow is Saturday,they don't work on this day,so if for UPS,we only can ship it to you next Monday.
I'm worried to ship it to you,and I know it is a little late for this order,as the delay of stainless valve body(we received the valve body this afternoon),so I suggest to use China Post(EMS) to ship it to you tomorrow,EMS work on Saturday,and I called the EMS,they told me it will need about 4 days to ship to USA.
Now I want to seek opinion of yours,if you agree to ship by EMS,we will send it to you tomorrow.
And the cost for ship by UPS and EMS is the same.

What do you guys think have them send EMS or UPS?

UPDATE:

It's a good thing I had them wait for UPS, as they are already in the states. Actually in Louisville, KY awaiting final release, I would expect them tomorrow or Wednesday depending on release time. I will post photos once in hand and will be contacting those whom were interested as I'd like to ship them out ASAP.

Valves in! Tested the first two using 9v battery, everything works as planned. Still waiting to hear back from two guys on their valve count.

ForumRunner_20120419_124808.jpg

ForumRunner_20120419_124826.jpg

I must say, of all the countries I've dealt with when importing goods, Chinese companies seem to have been the most efficient and helpful. Perhaps that is just good luck... Staying in South Africa, many companies from other countries wont even ship goods here.. Haha

Hope the valves do you well.

Yeah now I have some flexibility on my plumbing layout. Also been looking at the DC pumps in order to keep everything low voltage and simple to work with. I will be using a brewtroller as I want volume control.

So what's the word? Got any extras? If not can you share the contact info of the seller?i'm looking flr ateast 15 of these, myself.

I am in the market for some motor valves so I've been looking around...
In the interest of saving money, why are 3 way valves not the ones to look for in our applications (from oscsys)? The BSP connections aren't a deal-breaker.. a little research will tell you that the thread count is the same on 1/2" npt and 1/2" bsp. They are just not tapered thread. They will work and cost only 80 for what is the equivalent of 2 2-way valves.

PS Would it really be that difficult to DIY your own valve? With a simple stepper motor fashioned to the bolt of the handle. Someone can pull this off I am sure.. I may try.

Valves in! Tested the first two using 9v battery, everything works as planned. Still waiting to hear back from two guys on their valve count.

Have you read this thread? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/automated-herms-system-132119/

There is a lot of discussion on automation and the minimum number of valves and what type. If I remember correctly, they first tried solenoid controlled valves and then due to issues switched over to the ones found on the ocs web site, I believe using these: http://www.oscsys.com/1-2-2-Way-Motorized-Ball-Valve-with-Manual-Override.html. I believe they ended up with 12 valves.

Back