Oak aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blakimal

Reaction score
Came across some jack Daniels oak chips for grilling flavor, was wondering if these are ok to use? I don't see why not, I read the back of bag and no added chemicals! Pretty much straight oak chips soaked on jack!

image-1612350992.jpg

You probably can if you sterilize them, but I would be careful on quantity and time. I used 1.5 oz of medium toasted american oak in an IIPA and it was very strong. Chips add a lot more than cubes.

I LOVE the JD chips. I like to toast them and add them to beers. They are SUPER powerful and impart flavors of whiskey and oak fast.

I oaked a porter with 2 oz of medium toast cubes. The cubes were soaked in 16oz of makers mark for about a week, then I added both the bourbon and oak to the beer.

I let it sit in secondary for about 2 months and its now in bottles.

When I sampled it during bottled, it has a pretty strong, but very drinkable oaky flavor. Delicious :mug:

I've never had an oaked ipa, how are they? I've got my own oak cubes I toasted and have wondered how they are.

I did a DFH 90 min with the JD chips. By the time you can really taste the chips flavor it overpowered the hops. I had a bottle the other day (possibly the last one) and it still tasted as I remembered it did at almost a year old granted all the hops faded to bitter at that point.

I wouldn't use more than 2-3oz of the chips soaked in 2-3 jiggers of plain vodka in a tight lidded container in the fridge while the beer is fermenting. It took mine that long to soak up 2/3's of the 5 jiggers of Beam's black I soaked them in. So 7 or 8 days is pretty strong. So 2-3 oz chips to 2-3 jiggers vodka in this case should be a bit less intense at 5-7 days in secondary.

I've been kicking that Mesquite thing in the back of my head as my next wood aged ale. I was thinking of using it in a brown ale with maybe 3oz of 3 different spicy German hops. Like a Western rouchbier of sorts. Also do a medium toast on the mesquite chips in the oven to bring out more flavor. How's that sound?

Has anyone used charred oak staves? I visited Makers Mark last week and was able to buy 5 full sized charred oak staves that was used to make Makers Mark 46. I am trying to figure out how to use these things.

Back