How many BTUs do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnstormer

Reaction score
I was looking to get a turkey fryer burner to do my boils on. I'm am currently doing 5 gal batches but I want to move to 10 and eventually 15 gal batches. How many BTUs do I need to get that much wort boiling? The one I'm looking at is 41k. Sorry if this has been covered. I didn't find much in my search.

You did a search, really? I found your answer in about 25 seconds using the SEARCH function.

Anyway, 41K BTUs will probably get the job done, but it is going to be a bit on the slow and inefficient size. Get any burner over 50K BTUs and you'll be fine. My burner goes from room temp to 155 in about 15 minutes and from 170 to boiling in about 15 minutes.

You should be able to get a good 50K + BTU burner for about $40-45. Here's the one I have (Bayou SP10). When I upgraded to 10 gallon keggle batches, I just added a replacement grill grate to the top and it handles the size and weight just fine (185K BTU):

Bayou Classic 13" Outdoor Gas Cooker

Lots of people also like the SQ14 (55K BTUs):

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?q=bayou+sq14&hl=en&tbm=shop&aq=f]bayou sq14 - Google Search[/ame]

The SP10 burns HOTTER, but is lower pressure. The SP14 burns COOLER, but is higher pressure, so the end result is about the same efficiency on both.

Thanks for the info. I did the search on my Android app and haven't had the best luck with it. I appreciate it.

I have the SQ14 (55k BTU's). During our testing it took ~45mins to boil 10gal of water. In our kettle it took about ~35mins to boil 10gals.

-Ben

Back