Pocket breathalyzer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermicous

Reaction score
Anyone use these or know anyone that does? I've never even seen one, but becoming a father and seeing three of my friends lose their licenses has made me think about getting one.

However, I don't want to spend ~$100 on a product that doesn't work right.

Vermicous-I would not trust the acuracy of these. My roomate had one in college (he had 2 DUI's) and we used it for entertainment. It was a great game trying to set the high score. :drunk: His parents bought it for him from Costco in 2002 (I think) and I don't believe that they are as precise as advertised. I definetly would spent the $90 bucks on some cab fare before the crappy brethalizer. Besides, why risk the consequences of a DUI?

Even readings taken with the pocket breathalyzers the cops have are not admissible in court (don't ask how I know), they are not reliable...hell, the ones at police stations are barely reliable.

nope a True Breathalyzer is a light Spectrophotometer. It measures the absorption of light passing through the potassium dichromate solution.

They are a hilariously good time at bars. It always becomes a competition of who can get the highest score.

Check the rating on them. Most of the cheap ones only go up to like 0.1 or 0.08 or something, which i guess is fine if all you want to know is if you are over the limit or not.

Freind of mine has one, and it is accurate to the field one police use.
It goes up to .20 or .3 We tested it up against one that is used in the field and it was pretty much dead on accurate.

They do need to be calibrated, the one my freind has bought an extended warranty for 10 bucks and no matter what happens to it he gets another one, he dropped it cracked the led reading brought it back and got another one on the spot. He got his from sharper image. Originally he go a christmas gift took that back and found the breathalizer and gave it a shot.

Paperface said:
They are a hilariously good time at bars. It always becomes a competition of who can get the highest score.

Check the rating on them. Most of the cheap ones only go up to like 0.1 or 0.08 or something, which i guess is fine if all you want to know is if you are over the limit or not.
I was with some friends a few years back and they had a breathalyzer 'game' of sorts right by the front door as you walk in. One of my buddies won that night blowing the most over. He also won a trip to the drunk tank and $5000 in DUI diversion fees..

This is the reason I don't like these pocket analyzers being sold to the general public because it can get out of hand if your not responsible about it.

I got this one for xmas http://www.breathalyzer.net/alcohawkpro.html
It is the same one the cops use. The bad thing about them is you have to wait at least 20 to 30 minutes after drinking to use it or you risk messing up the calibration.
The time they really are fun is the morning after a party when everyone doesn't realize how drunk you still are. We're usually still in the .12 range after an evening bender. New years morning SWMBO blew .18.

jags said:
I got this one for xmas http://www.breathalyzer.net/alcohawkpro.html
It is the same one the cops use. The bad thing about them is you have to wait at least 20 to 30 minutes after drinking to use it or you risk messing up the calibration.
The time they really are fun is the morning after a party when everyone doesn't realize how drunk you still are. We're usually still in the .12 range after an evening bender. New years morning SWMBO blew .18.

Some one lied to you. Trust me the ones cops use are alot more expensive.

Back