2 x 10,000 btus enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezzieyguywuf

Reaction score
I got this weird, two burner propane stovetop from my FIL that throws out 10,000 btus per burner. I think my pot will fit comfortably across both burners (on my way home to check) , but I wonder if this stove will put out enough juice for a nice boil. I'll be doing 5 gallon batches in my 10 gallon aluminum pot.

Edit: pictures

https://picasaweb.google.com/101045472925884082358/BeerStuff#5575875188807785202

https://picasaweb.google.com/101045472925884082358/BeerStuff#5575875372969192770

https://picasaweb.google.com/101045472925884082358/BeerStuff#5575875596670820050
Sent from my HTC Vision using Home Brew Talk

It would be best to be concerned about your aluminum pot because of it's reactive properties (unless you're using LME from a metal can). It will take a while to bring 5 gal to a good rolling boil but other than that IMHO, it's not enough. Have you looked at burners for turkey fryers? Inexpensive + high output.

What do you mean about the reactive properties of the aluminum pot?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Home Brew Talk

Aluminum is called a reactive metal because it loses aluminum ions in liquid that isn't ph neutral i.e. acidic beer wort ( ph 5.2 is what we all hope for) It makes stuff taste like metal, and if you use it to cook with and say, make gravy for example you will notice your white (country) gravy turns grey, your gravy made with chicken stock will be this creepy grey too. Visual clues.. That's why stainless while more expensive is lauded so heavily, it's nonreactive.

Oh man, it's going to cost you a fortune in little propane bottle if you can't find an adaptor for regular propant tanks. And that pot looks new, do you still have the receipt?

I didn't buy it, the FIL bought it a few years ago after a big ice storm, cuz they didn't want to be left without a burner in case of a future storm :)-/). I asked him if I could take a looksie and he obliged. Now that I remember, though, on of the local GRABASSholes has offered my a turkey-fryer burner that he doesn't use, since he brews electric. I'll probably just fall back to that.
ezziey

The problem will be how well it keeps up a rolling boil. You need a lid to get it going, and then you need to take it off and see if it still boils (you need to boil uncovered). If you are at sea level, and both flames are kept under the pot, I'd probably say it'll work. If you are at 8,000 feet, in spite of the fact that water boils at a lower temperature, you may find that there is not enough O2 to get enough heat content out of the burners, but there are other factors, like how cold it is outside, the profile of the pot, how much you are boiling down, etc.

Let us know how it works out.

will do. I hadn't thought of the cover-until-it-boils-then-uncover-and-start-timing-the-boil method. btw, in my circle I'm know an the master of hyphenated names.
ezziey

Back