Pappers Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing fast fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naeco

Reaction score
I just tried Pappers technique last Wednesday and 5 days later (monday) the juice went from 1.052 to 1.010 WOW

Now I'm pissed as I dont have any bottle and wanted to bottle at 1.012 and the brew shop is closed right now so it going to be even lower tomorrow morning. I guess I'll add sugar until I'm happy with taste and add priming after.

this is amazing as I'm used to fermenting freshly pressed with campted to complete dryness with the 1 year waiting period untill it's drinkable ... this technique is the **** !!!!

Used:

WalMart juice
S-04
yeast nutrient
combination of 1/3 dextrose ans 2/3 cane to get to desired gravity.
fermented at 22 degree

Thanks Pappers !

You could rack to secondary and put the whole thing in the fridge, or drop temp on your camber to near freezing and that will stop fermentation, that way you can bottle it later at the gravity you have.

If you can't do that, then you may want to backsweeten with apple juice concentrate to keep the apple flavor up to the gravity you want plus 3-4 pts and then let it carb up (err on the low side...) and pasturize.

I think my next cider I'm going to use an ale yeast, and cold crash then transfer to secondary, then transfer off any more yeast to the keg, and try to bottle a couple from the keg. I know people in the past have had success in crashing out enough yeast this way that fermentation doesn't re-start. I'll put the bottles in a lidded bucket though just to be sure.

So how does the bottle pasturization effect the flavor of the cider? Di you have yo wait some time after pasteurozong it to drink it?

I just finished a batch of cider and after about a week I opened my first bottle to see if carbonation was right for pasteurization. Well, the bottle gushed. What can I do. Your instructions say not to pasteurize when the bottle gushes because the pressure will be too much. Is there anything I can do at this point?

I just finished a batch of cider and after about a week I opened my first bottle to see if carbonation was right for pasteurization. Well, the bottle gushed. What can I do. Your instructions say not to pasteurize when the bottle gushes because the pressure will be too much. Is there anything I can do at this point?

Open the bottles gently, and then recap when the gushing stops? Otherwise, I got nothin'.

I never see the reason stove top or any other kind of Pasteurizing. If you don't have a beer fridge
your lost
I fit 75 gallons in my garage fridge.
Just keep it cold and if you have so much "your not drinking enough"
And if your wife gives you **** about a beer fridge you need a new wife.

Thanks for the info. Does the fridge keep the bottles from gushing when you open them? Right now I have them in the sub basement where it is cool, and I haven't had any bottles explode, but I have to open them really slow. If I pop the cap, the cider will gush almost to the ceiling.

Thanks again for the help

pdwhit said:
Thanks for the info. Does the fridge keep the bottles from gushing when you open them? Right now I have them in the sub basement where it is cool, and I haven't had any bottles explode, but I have to open them really slow. If I pop the cap, the cider will gush almost to the ceiling.

Thanks again for the help

You might try cooling one down then opening it and letting it warm back up with the top open.

I never see the reason stove top or any other kind of Pasteurizing. If you don't have a beer fridge
your lost
I fit 75 gallons in my garage fridge.
Just keep it cold and if you have so much "your not drinking enough"
And if your wife gives you **** about a beer fridge you need a new wife.

smiley-laughing024.gif

My last batch of hard cider was a disaster. I bottled too soon and when I went to test carbonation to see if it was ready to pasteurize, it was too far gone. I didn't have any bottles explode, but I have to deal with gushers each time I open a bottle. But I did discover something very interesting. Some of the bottles I used were beer bottles that had twist off caps. When I open these bottles, there isn't any gushing. I am thinking that the excess carbonation somehow leaked out of these bottle. I am going to do some additional testing my next batch

I'm pretty careful not to use twist offs. I hear bud/miller/coors bottles won't survive crimping. But three shipyard bottles sneaked in my last batch. They held the carbonation ok until I pasteurized. When I took the bottles out of the hot water I could hear gas escaping.

Back