bottle or secondary or both

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcollins

Reaction score
I have an IIPA in primary right now that was started last Friday. I am going away for three weeks on October 2 and was wondering about advantages/disadvantages to the following scenarios:

leave in primary for ~3 weeks and bottle right before I leave and have it carbonate/condition in the bottle for the three weeks I'm away.

do the typical 1-2-3 scenario so that I'll rack to secondary next week and then bottle before I go.

leave in primary for 3 weeks, rack to secondary before I go and then bottle upon my return

Discuss.

If it's clear enough and attenuated when you leave, bottle it. otherwise leave in primary or rack to secondary to let it flocc. 3 weeks primary is not too long. best reason to rack is that you'll siphon some sediment when you go to remove it to bottle. secondary gives you another chance to have clearer beer in the bottles.

Regardless, plan on letting a IIPA bottle age a while.

Well, it will almost definitely be attenuated by the time I leave. I've gone from 1.070 to 1.015 in three days.

I'm also debating about racking to free up my larger primary carboys for another batch before I go.

Latest posts

Back