Primary Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pedro-

Reaction score
Have a question on buckets. I have a 6.5 usGAL for a primary. I used it, cleaned it. Went to use it for another batch and it smelled skunky.

Is this guy OK to use again or will those skunky flavors be absorbed into my beer if I use it? Is this a common thing?

I've simply been using carboys for ferm now, but I would like to use it again for a primary. At the very least I guess I could turn it into a bottling bucket.

Thanks! Cheers! :mug:

You do not want skunky in your beer (unless it's Corona). It has a parts per billion taste threshold.

Thanks, since no one seems to have any problems I think I am going to put a batch in there this week.

Maybe I'll try the oxyclean. I went to put a batch in that bucket last time and panicked. I wasn't going to put my precious wort in something that smelled like, well, nevermind. I ended up putting it in a carboy and had to devise a makeshft blowoff with a racking hose hah.

Hey, it worked :)

Cheers :mug:

I wash mine with Straight A after I rack from it and I soak it in iodine for about 30 minutes while I'm sanitizing the rest of my equipment before I brew the next batch. I've never noticed mine smelling. But I've only done three batches.

Plastic is gonna absorb some smell but you should be fine. If you start brewing bad batches and you're sure everything else is kosher go ahead and replace the bucket, they aren't that expensive.

Back