taste before bottling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
hey guys,

just bottled 43 bottles.. not too shabby for thinking i lost half a gallon..

anyway, i tasted my beer, cause i had some left over.. and the taste was, well, interesting.. it tasted like beer, but had quite a bite to it.

is this normal? will carb and cold help it? any comforting words would be great.. thanks!

I had that with my first batch, a Scottish Ale. It was a very strong, harsh initial bite on the beginning of the sip. But once I got past that, the flavor was wonderful.

I was obsessed with it for a couple weeks (before I found this forum) because it didn’t match any of the off-flavors that I’ve read about.

After 3 weeks I became convinced that either I was pouring sediment into the glass or I didn’t let my iodine sanitizer thoroughly dry before bottling.

It gradually decreased, but it lasted at a significant level for 5 weeks. Now at week 6, its completely gone.

I’m guessing all you need to do is wait 3 – 5 weeks and it will go away.

cool... more waiting! ahhhhh im going crazy! gonna have to drink some more BBC nut brown... mmm..

aekdbbop said:
cool... more waiting! ahhhhh im going crazy! gonna have to drink some more BBC nut brown... mmm..
Would you mean Bluegrass Brewing Company Nut Brown? I love their American Pale Ale. Their Dark Star Porter ain't too shabby either.

Engelramm said:
Would you mean Bluegrass Brewing Company Nut Brown? I love their American Pale Ale. Their Dark Star Porter ain't too shabby either.
thats the one.. there are a few pubs in louisville that serve it on tap... that's heaven

Yeah, the waiting is the hardest part.... as Tom Petty says. Leave the bottles at room temp for a couple weeks. If you can't stand it any more, drink one at that time. Then leave them for another two weeks, then chill and drink to your heart's content. Just remember, the longer it sits, the better it gets.

Brew again soon. You'll be glad you did.

andre the giant said:
Just remember, the longer it sits, the better it gets.

Uhhh. I would not make rash statements like that. Every beer has an lifespan. If you let it sit too long you will have crappy tasting beer.

Wheat beers commonly taste good very early and loose flavor as they get older, so your statement does not hold true there either.

Every beer has a "Prime" Age. Each one is different. You should make note of when the beer tastes best and tap it during that time of it;s life. Some takes 2 weeks ....some take 2 months, some take 2 years to reach their prime. One beer might take 2 months to reach it's prime and another beer may be heading downhill by that time.

Remember this....."Every Beer is different. Treat them that way."

Every Friday night is Beer Tasting Night at my house. I taste everything and make notes in my Brew Log. This is so I can consume my beers during their Prime. As soon as I taste a beer starting to decline....I make it that weeks priority. I also bottle partial kegs and give them away when it's time is almost up.

Did you know that some beers have 2 or 3 different times that they taste best. I have a Brown ale recipe that goes through 3 differnt phases. Each phase has a completely different taste and in between the phases it tastes like crap. Phase 1 is in 10 days after kegging. It lasts for 5 days then like cutting off a switch, it transforms into something horrible then 14 days later it peaks again and lasts for 7 days then transforms into another dirt tasting mess. Then on week 6 it transforms into something wonderful again and last for 6 weeks atleast...I have never had any left after that long so I do not know how long it lasts.

Back