Already expecting poor attenuation, skip malto dextrine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've made a couple all grain APAs and I've had INSANE attenuation using wyeast 1056, I'm talking >80%. They came out poorly balanced with no body.

I plan on using wyeast 1098 on my next APA, and that's been scoring around 69% attenuation. I plan on doing kind of an SNPA clone. Will the unfermented sugar from the higher FG aide in additional body at all? Will I be over-correcting if I add malto-dextrine for additional body?

Without adding malto dextrine I'll be going from a 1.008 to a 1.014 FG. Is that a big enough difference?

How accurate is your thermometer? Attenuation numbers are based on lab conditions, so we can expect some deviation from those published figures.

If your thermometer is reading high for what the actual temperature is, you are likely mashing at temperatures in favor of a more fermentable wort.

Ingredient-wise, crystal malts i.e. definitely boost body.

My first APA was thin, and I thought it may have been because of a low FG. I figured switching yeasts to something less attenuative would raise the FG. I also thought maybe some MD would help too because the beer had NO body at all. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overcorrecting.

Then I realize my FG will prob end up lower anyways because it'll be all grain, so I WILL add MD for a little extra body.

Then I realize my FG will prob end up lower anyways because it'll be all grain, so I WILL add MD for a little extra body.

This is a false assumption, though - and your process and choice of ingredients will have more of an effect on the body.

I asked this earlier: How accurate is the thermometer you are using to measure mash temps? The difference of a few degrees can have a big effect on the body.

Since MD is unfermentable, when you add it doesn't matter. If you add it after the fermentation is done, you'll get a better indication of attenuation, but clearing tank or priming bucket, no difference.

Back