counter flow chiller using paratherm lr fluids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPTHOOK

Reaction score
has anyone used a receculating counterflow chiller with glycol? I have access to 10 us gallons of the paratherm Lr and the:mug: specs look good just need some more home brewers input.

Paratherm LR™ HEAT
TRANSFER
FLUID
Single Fluid Heating and Cooling • Non Aromatic • Non Aqueous

Pharmaceutical Production Equipment
Secondary Coolant ("Brine") Systems
Food-Grade
The Paratherm LR™ low-range heat transfer fluid is rated for service from -40ºF to 400ºF (-40ºC to 204ºC). Non-aromatic, this non-toxic liquid is safe to use and is easy to dispose. Tough and durable, the Paratherm LR fluid is designed for a broad variety of cooling and heating applications. It is engineered to provide extended performance under rugged operating conditions, yet is easy and safe to handle.

Seems like you'd need a pump to recirculate it, and a second heat exchanger to get the heat out of the glycol. Where's the benefit?

It can be done of course but you'd need to hold a large quantity of it in a deep freezer and use a pump that is capable of pumping sub zero liquids. You'd want to pump it through your chiller and then hold the output in a separate tank. I'd say the breakeven point over icewater is like 1000 batches if you buy the ice.

i have the pumps,frezzer, insulate ss lines. But i have never used any thing but ice water. I scored the paratherm from work. but i had not thought of the seperate holding tanks. thanks

Back