most tasteless beer with a cappable bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meschaefer

Reaction score
here is the short story. I am having a hops tasting party, were the plan is to dry hop a tasteless beer by opening it up putting a few hop pellets in it and then recapping. This way I can easily dry hop with a number of different hops so that we can compare the flavors of each.

It was suggested that I use Coors Light as having the most tasteless flavor. Problem is that Coors Light has a screw top. It's been forever since I bottled, and I didn't even think of that when i was buying it. So now I am looking for a tasteless commercial brew, that i can dry hop and recap.

Any Suggestions?

If the experiment is simply about the hops, brew up a few gallons (2-3) of basic Light DME and and maybe .125oz of a low bittering hop. Then break it up into bombers for dry hopping. Unless the tasting is soon.

If the experiment is simply about the hops, brew up a few gallons (2-3) of basic Light DME and and maybe .125oz of a low bittering hop. Then break it up into bombers for dry hopping. Unless the tasting is soon.

Tasting is very soon, I enough time to Dry hop but that is about it.

Grolsch Blonde?

I dunno about your area but around here, these are sold in pry top clear bottles. Yeah. This place is beer suck. We get the Grolsch but, not the swing tops.

Don't know if you get Lakeport Lager in your area. But it tastes like nothing and it's the cheapest beer money can buy. Not sure about the capping. Does Pabst make cappable bottles?

I got the idea from an old Basic Brewing Radio podcast, the only novelty I added into it was to turn it into a party. :mug:

Well, I had a sneaky feeling it couldn't be new. It seems that just about anything possible to do with beer has been done already by someone, somewhere. :cross:

I am limited to a wing type capper, as that is what I have. Since I started Kegging I havn't had even the slightest desire to go back to bottleing, so I am opposed to picking up a bench capper.

I was thinking about trying Corona Light, as I know that their bottles are able to be capped.

I was gonna suggest Corona. Amstel bottles work but they have thinner glass so be careful. Tsingtao has cool bottles, and tastes exactly like Budweiser (I actually think it IS Budweiser).

IIRC, dry hopping won't really give you much in flavor, but mostly aroma, so I don't know how a "tasting" will go. But a "pop, pour, and sniff" party sounds almost as fun :D

I know that it is kind of off topic, but I thought I would just provide a quick update.

After the fiasco with the coors light bottles, I went to the supermarket and searched for a non-twist off bottle. I ended up with bud-light bottles (couldn't find the aluminum bottle) as no where on the bottle did it say twist off . Long story short, they where twist off but unlike the coors light bottles, I was able to cap them.

I used five different hops (Fuggles, Saaz, Willamette, Haulterau, Simcoe), and made three bottles each, using about three pellets in each bottle. I let them sit for four days and then did the testing. It worked out great, each bottle with flavorfull and aromatic and you could really taste the difference between each hop.

Thanks for your help, even if I still screwed it up and got twist offs.

I surprised nobody mentioned the plastic bottles. You could have just screwed them back on when you were done tossing the hops in.

Good to hear everything went well though.

Ya know, I often just twist caps BACK ON to my soda/beer to keep the bugs out and keep them from spilling if they get knocked over. I would not hesitate to do this and refrigerate. It should keep plenty fresh in the fridge until you actually taste it later.

Ya know, I often just twist caps BACK ON to my soda/beer to keep the bugs out and keep them from spilling if they get knocked over. I would not hesitate to do this and refrigerate. It should keep plenty fresh in the fridge until you actually taste it later.

I actually tried that with the first bottle, but it was unable to hold the pressure. When I put the hops into the bottle, it tended to want to foam over.

The most tasteless beer I've ever had I think has to be Landshark Lager. And if i remember correctly the bottles were recappable.

Back