Belgian Candi Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentk14

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of threads about invert sugar and sugars affect on alcohol content. I already know sugar adds alcohol but by how much. What would be the affect of 1 Ib of Belgian Candi sugar to a 5 gallon batch of beer?Would it be about 2%?

Figure on about 10 points to the OG per pound per 5 gallon batch. Its highly fermentable sugar too. You can safely figure about 1% ABV per pound...

I do have some brewing software at home. I am just piddling around at work trying to figure out useful information that is more fun than work. So it is safe to say around 1% per pound? Thats what i was figuring on just wanted to make sure.

One more question regarding fermentability. Which has a higher rate of fermentation...Belgian Candi Sugar or Corn Sugar and does one change the taste of the beer more? I have yet to use any type of sugar in brewing my beer, could be traditionalism or just pure lack of being educated on the subject.

Brentk14 said:
One more question regarding fermentability. Which has a higher rate of fermentation...Belgian Candi Sugar or Corn Sugar and does one change the taste of the beer more? I have yet to use any type of sugar in brewing my beer, could be traditionalism or just pure lack of being educated on the subject.

Corn sugar (dextrose) is 100% fermentable and I believe Belgian Candi Sugar is, if not entirely, nearly 100% fermentable.

And, yes, adding a significant amount of 100% fermentable sugar will change the taste. Obviously, it'll add more alcohol which will change the body and mouthfeel and it'll also make the beer more dry.

Candi sugar is mostly fermentable... much more so than malts. Its got some flavor to it unlike corn sugar. It'll help bring your FG down which is handy when making big belgians.

Latest posts

Back