Making EdWort's Apfelwein in the Juice Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acyr90

Reaction score
Making a 2 gal batch, but as I was sanitizing my 2 gal fermenter I noticed the spigot was leaking. Can I just divide the yeast & sugar into the gallon jugs the juice came in and lightly set the caps back on to work as an 'airlock'?

The alternative is to plug the entire spigot hole with a cork or something of similar size. The drill hole where the spigot goes is 3/4ths of an inch. Any ideas on how to plug it that wont affect flavor?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sure, that would work if you are in a pinch. I'm not so sure about long term storage in those original containers though. Are they glass or plastic? Apple wine is going to need some aging and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with 'cracking the cap' for months on end. (just my opinion)

Yah that's what I was worried about is having them sit like that for 2 months. I guess I'm waiting months for it to ferment anyways, whats another week till I get a suitable replacement.

Back