Who is using thsi 50qt cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
Coleman 50Qt Wheeled Extreme Cooler - Iceberg Blue

Just curious who all is using this? This is the one with wheels and a handle and has the drain in the back.

It states this, "Channel drain for no-tilt easy draining". I'm just curious who has this, and how well it drains with a stainless tube inside.

My local store has this for only $29.99 right now!!

I don't have that exact cooler, but I say go for it. Its a good price and the wheels would be great for rolling over to the garbage can to dump the grains. You can't go wrong for 30 bucks.

My cooler also has the channel drain and it works like a champ with my manifold. It drains well without having to lift one end of the cooler up.

I just pulled the trigger on it. So $31.79 after tax. I should be picking it up later next week. If the hole size is the same as my igloo cooler, I'll just re-use those parts, if not, then I will get new ones.

I just got mine, it looks like my 5g igloo cooler outside setup won't work on this. I'll have to try the plastic tubing setups like I've seen and see how that works, with a bazooka screen inside.

I just got mine, it looks like my 5g igloo cooler outside setup won't work on this. I'll have to try the plastic tubing setups like I've seen and see how that works, with a bazooka screen inside.

I'm pretty sure this is the one I have. I used a ball valve from Home Depot on the outside and a PVC manifold on the inside. Works great.

I'm pretty sure this is the one I have. I used a ball valve from Home Depot on the outside and a PVC manifold on the inside. Works great.

After I took off all of my washers, and only left a single silicone one on the inside, I can push it far enough through, to where the other side kind of lines up with the outside. I can probably get something to thread with it, just need to find a shorter setup. The outside one on my igloo is a hair over 5 inches long. I really need something more around 2", so maybe I need to screw on a barb, run vinyl hose off that, and then put the hose into a plastic valve, and then run hose out from the other side of that.

Like this valve

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/files/drawings/22126.pdf

Option 2, I can re-use everything I have, but the outside would always have to hang over something to not put pressure on the value and barb on the outside.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use this setup, stupid me bought 3/8" parts instead of 1/2" though, I need to return these. So on the outside i'll probably do a female 1/2" -> 3/8" barb, and on the inside I may do a 1/2" -> 3/8" tee, with 3/8" barbs, just need to decide on size inside.

I will then run a hose on the outside with a plastic flow valve, and on the inside put a barb on each side, and run a SS Braided Hose in an oval and connect to each barb. I'll keep you updated on this, and maybe even do a youtube video for it.

today 002.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use this setup, stupid me bought 3/8" parts instead of 1/2" though, I need to return these. So on the outside i'll probably do a female 1/2" -> 3/8" barb, and on the inside I may do a 1/2" -> 3/8" tee, with 3/8" barbs, just need to decide on size inside.

I will then run a hose on the outside with a plastic flow valve, and on the inside put a barb on each side, and run a SS Braided Hose in an oval and connect to each barb. I'll keep you updated on this, and maybe even do a youtube video for it.

I'm confused?!?!?!? You need a ball valve on the outside. Without it the liquid will come out before the mash is finished.

I would also look into getting a shorter nipple. As I mentioned, I am pretty sure this is the cooler I have. I used an inch and a half nipple (Much shorter than what you have). Considering the length of the one you have shown, you are going to need lots and lots of washers to keep the liquid in. On the inside, I reused the plastic nut that was on the valve that came with the cooler and the washer with rubber o-ring in it. On the outside, I was able to use a single washer and the ball valve. I then got a barb converter to install in the ball valve. The SS Braided hose will work well.

I didn't buy that cooler because of the position the valve would have been in after I put it together. It would have put pressure on the ball valve when sitting down.

I will be using washers, I just didn't add them for the picture, and nothing is tightened. And no I won't need lots and lots of washers, that wall is thicker than my igloo, so I needed a longer coupler.

Also I will NOT be putting a brass or SS valve on the outside, there is not enough room. My plan is to run a short hose from the barb on the outside, into a plastic or pvc flow valve, then run a longer hose from that, and that will be how I control flow.

Here are a few more pictures. I still need to find the plastic/pvc flow valve, and still need to get the SS braid hose that will go in an oval. I will also add a silicone washer on the inside, which isn't shown. I screwed in my igloo SS hose just as a partial example.

02242013 016.jpg

02242013 020.jpg

02242013 021.jpg

Dumb question: Can you identify the components you have there? How long is the nipple? And you'll use a male barb on the T, and a female barb on the outside?

Dumb question: Can you identify the components you have there? How long is the nipple? And you'll use a male barb on the T, and a female barb on the outside?

1/2" x 2" coupler
1/2" -> 3/8" female barb outside
1/2" x 1/2" x 1/2" tee inside
two 1/2" x 1/2" maile barbs inside into the tee

The 1/2" x 2" coupler, fits VERY snug inside, i'm sure there would only be a small leak into the wall all by itself. Once I add the silicone washer inside, i'm pretty confident it won't leak at all. Then i'll add 1 SS washer on the outside.

I just ordered this shutoff valve, I'll let you know how well it works when i get it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330556771542

Ok, I just got the valve for outside. Still need to get the barbs for the inside and the SS Braided Hose. Here is a rough idea on what the outside will look like.

mashtun 002.jpg

Looks good, a a bit cheaper than the brass valves people use!

Smerfs8485 said:
Im sure it going to work great. Now to brew up some beer.

I may borrow your design but for a different cooler - a 5gal round one. (Not igloo or coleman... gott I think.)

What do you think of using a strainer bag to hold the grain, then draining it without a screen or braid or anything like that? Any reason that wouldn't work? Maybe use a nut inside instead of the barb.

If you can get a strainer bag that fits the whole inside pretty well, you could probably use one, up to you.

Ya I would go get a paint strainer bag from lowes. It wont go over the the cooler but. After the grains are in it and you tie it. You let it go and the grains spread across the cooler. Effec. Wont be as high. More water will try and drain from just the wall of the spigot. With a metal mesh screen or manifold it will be able to drain a little more even. Just a thought.

I may borrow your design but for a different cooler - a 5gal round one. (Not igloo or coleman... gott I think.)

What do you think of using a strainer bag to hold the grain, then draining it without a screen or braid or anything like that? Any reason that wouldn't work? Maybe use a nut inside instead of the barb.

I have a 5 gallon Gott. I use a grain bag with no modifications to the cooler, except I installed a ball valve, which makes it much easier to drain. Holding that spigot in while draining the hot wort wasn't much fun. I tilt the cooler when I have most of the liquid drained and I can completely empty it.

I have this exact same cooler and wish I found this thread earlier!

I followed a video with the parts list (I'll try to find the video). Basically I used a brass ball valve 1/2" with a male barb adapter on the inside and the braid.

Have you had success with brewing this? I haven't tried mine yet. I worry that having the SS braid on one side won't drain well.

Also, did you have to do anything with the brass before using it? Soaking it in hydrogen peroxide or anything? I want to make sure I'm using everything food safe. I have a brass adapter on the inside.

Back