Just started KingBrianI Samhain Pumpkin Ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBayBrewer

Reaction score
SWMBO requested I brew her a pumpkin ale, so, being a bit new to this hobby, I consulted the recipe section of this splendid site and found KingBrianI's recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/samhain-pumpkin-ale-140674/. I somehow forgot the rice hulls, but that was the only major problem and it did not really seem to cause any significant problems. It sparged just fine.

The yeast I chose was US-05 (Safale).

The only other change I made is that my LHBS did not have Golden Promise so I had to substitute Maris Otter. In reading the instructions I misunderstood and toasted the Maris Otter instead of leaving it untoasted; however, I do not anticipate this making a detrimental difference other than perhaps making the flavor more malty and caramely (not a word, I know), and making the color darker perhaps. At any rate, I'll try to keep this post updated as this brew progresses.

NOTE: I should mention I am VERY amateur when it comes to brewing. I know the basics, but I'm just starting to put it all together as far as beer is concerned. Therefore, my concern with efficiency is minimal at this point. Perhaps some day in the not too distant future I'll be more concerned with such things, but as long as my brew buddy is my 14 month old daughter, I'll just follow the recipe (as closely as possible) and take what I get.

Any feedback is of course appreciated.

Back