3 Floyds- Robert the Bruce Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get the recipe for 3 Floyds Robert the Bruce Scottish Ale clone? I am looking for an extract as I am not yet to all grain brewing just yet........

Thanks so much!!!!

I can't find a recipe but here's a desciption of the said beer.

Maybe some of you guys can help throw something together to resemble it.

Robert the Bruce Scottish Ale

Serving Temperature: 45-50° F
Original Gravity: 12.5° Plato
Final Gravity: 3.7° Plato
Int'l Bittering Units: 28.0
Alcohol by Volume: 5.9%

Brewed with two row pale, roasted and Melianoidin Magnura malts, Robert the Bruce Scottish Ale is dark copper in color with a nose of chocolate syrup, coffee and sweet malt. The lads balance it nicely with Centennial hops. We found it to be medium-bodied with a big malty body that has a nice balance of hops. It finishes with a lingering bitterness and notes of coffee beans. This beer is a true wintertime delight that warms you with every sip. We recommend drinking this beer with any grilled meat or a chocolate dessert.

I can't help directly with the recipe or this particular style, but can add a footnote on the melanoidin malt as I've recently used some for the first time. It's intended to impart a flavor which closely resembles the unique maltiness resulting from a decoction mash. I used it for a dark "ESB" I've got finishing up primary right now, so I'll know how it tastes in about a month.

Curtainly sounds good :D

Rough conversions:
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.014

So it's got, Pale 2-row, Melanoidin, and what sounds like chocolate malt, and perhaps a little roasted barley?

I did find this, but it doesn't use Melanoidin or Centennial. I'd say swap Centennial for the Nugget and replace half of the Crystal with Melanoidin.

Amount Item Type % Or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 69 %
2 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 15.5 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.6 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3.4 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.7%
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.7 %
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 19.7 IBU
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00%] (30 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

any word on how this turned out thinking about making it like this

Type: All Grain
Date: 9/13/2010
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: James McCoy
Boil Size: 6.50 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 78.43 %
1.25 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.80 %
1.00 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.84 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.96 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.96 %
1.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] (60 min) Hops 26.8 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.65 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 26.8 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 18.4 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: My Mash Total Grain Weight: 12.75 lb
Sparge Water: 4.30 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step1 batch sparge Add 3.98 gal of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

There is no way those OG/FG numbers booty gave can be accurate. The webiste says 7% abv and BA states it at 6.5%. I'm curious to know where you got that description from..

Did anyone try this? How did it come out? Very close to the original?

They never have the Robert the Bruce over this way anymore, so I'd like to make this to have some on hand.

I'm not really familiar with this beer but a friend asked if I could dig up a clone recipe. Looking around the net, I did find someone who reported getting the following grain bill from 3Floyd's directly. Anyway, I figured I'd share what I had found.

OG: 17plato
FG: 5.5plato
Ibus: 30 All at beginning of Boil
90 Minute Boil
Yeast: Fullers

85% 2Row US
5% Caramunich
3% Crystal 10
3% Crystal 55
2% Melanoidin German
1% Black Patent
1% Roasted

Ferment on the cold side 62-65 F

I'm not really familiar with this beer but a friend asked if I could dig up a clone recipe. Looking around the net, I did find someone who reported getting the following grain bill from 3Floyd's directly. Anyway, I figured I'd share what I had found.

OG: 17plato
FG: 5.5plato
Ibus: 30 All at beginning of Boil
90 Minute Boil
Yeast: Fullers

85% 2Row US
5% Caramunich
3% Crystal 10
3% Crystal 55
2% Melanoidin German
1% Black Patent
1% Roasted

Ferment on the cold side 62-65 F

This is the recipe I brewed last year. I used 0.86 oz of Centennial for 90 minutes and 0.5 oz of Fuggles at 10 minutes. I used this combination because it is what I had on-hand at the time and was shooting for around 30 IBU. I mashed at 155 F with a Brewer's Friend Balanced water profile and fermented with Wyeast 1968 London ESB yeast with a large starter. It turned out pretty dead on. It's malty and sweet, clear ruby in color, with a tan head. I'm going to brew it again in a few weeks, although this time I'm going to ditch the Fuggles and just use 1 oz of Centennial at 90 minutes for simplicity, again targeting around 30 IBU to balance the massive malty sweetness.

This is the recipe I brewed last year. I used 0.86 oz of Centennial for 90 minutes and 0.5 oz of Fuggles at 10 minutes. I used this combination because it is what I had on-hand at the time and was shooting for around 30 IBU. I mashed at 155 F with a Brewer's Friend Balanced water profile and fermented with Wyeast 1968 London ESB yeast with a large starter. It turned out pretty dead on. It's malty and sweet, clear ruby in color, with a tan head. I'm going to brew it again in a few weeks, although this time I'm going to ditch the Fuggles and just use 1 oz of Centennial at 90 minutes for simplicity, again targeting around 30 IBU to balance the massive malty sweetness.

I re-brewed this as described above and was able to score a bottle of RtB for a side-by-side comparison. It was dead on...

Back