American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished up a batch of this today. Hope its as good as everyone says it is! By the way, Ed, I'm becoming a great fan of yours. Love your Apfelwein (opened the first bottle(s) today while brewing and everyone loves it) and I'm planning on brewing your Hefe next week.

Wish I could invite ya over to test them out! :mug:

So Ed, I noticed elsewhere in this thread that someone had said they got less than great results using Cascade flowers, and you recommended them to use pellets in the future. Can I ask why you advise this? Thanks.

-Matt

I don't think I ruined it, but I think I cold crashed a little early and I may have a dydiacetyl problem. I checked the hydrometer after 8 days and it was around 1.015 which beersmith said was in range for the style. I tasted it, and it tasted a little funny. I was just reading a thread about dydiacetyl and I think that is the problem I may have. The thing is, the beer has been brought down to around 39F and the yeast is probably dormant. What should I do? Will the yeast become active again if I bring the temp back up to fermenting range? This was my first AG batch and everything seemed to go fine until this point.

A week later, no change in gravity reading and it still tastes a bit like butter. I went ahead and pitched another Nottingham to see if it will get it going again. I'll check back later for activity. Not sure what else I can do at this point.

On another note, I started a batch of Ed's IPA yesterday. Everything went well, hopefully I will not run into problems like this again.

With all do respect.... DARN YOU ED!!!

First, I almost kill myself fetching a glass of your delicious apfelwein, now I am almost out of my first batch of Haus Pale Ale... This stuff is AWESOME...

I am afraid to make your robust porter, because if I do, I am afraid I will be found dead under a picnic tap from alcohol / CO2 poisoning...

:mug:

Ed- Could you re-post the 10 gallon recipe for you Haus ale? I know it's on here but have been cruising through all the posts but have failed after 100 something posts and am tired. Thanks.

just brewed this on the 26th took a gravity reading yesterday and it was at 1.002 finished lower than the recipe says, but i completely forgot to take an og

Ed- Could you re-post the 10 gallon recipe for you Haus ale? I know it's on here but have been cruising through all the posts but have failed after 100 something posts and am tired. Thanks.

Just double everything. I do 15 gallons now and just triple the measurements. Keep the times the same.

What commercial beer is closest to this?

Sierra Nevada, Mirrorpond, Copperhook, Others ?

Ordered this as a kit from Brewmaster's Warehouse and brewed as written. OG of 1.052 so I did something right.

I am looking forward to the results!

Thanks Ed.

I am breaking in my new kettle with this tomorrow. I was wondering if I should aim for any specific water profile. I live in Madison, WI, and there is rather hard water here. Something to the order of 290-340 depending on the well. I could always dilute it down with spring water. The wyeast website claims the sulfate content can vary, but the carbonate should be relatively low. Should I at least boil the water first and rack off the sediment to remove some of the carbonate?

If anyone actually really cares, the 3 main well reports are listed below.

http://www.cityofmadison.com/water/wellusage/documents/2007_WQ_IOC_UW18.pdf
http://www.cityofmadison.com/water/wellusage/documents/2007_WQ_IOC_UW17.pdf
http://www.cityofmadison.com/water/wellusage/documents/2007_WQ_IOC_UW30.pdf

Ed/Anyone else: What can I expect if I brew this (extract style) as per the recipe (nott. and everything), if my temperature fluctuates between 60-68 for the fermentation. Will it make the beer taste wrong or will it take longer? I know Nottingham's is rated to 55 or something like that, but I was wondering if that would have an impact on the flavor.

Thanks.

I am breaking in my new 10 gallon rubbermaid MLT as I type. I am having a little trouble holding 152. I added a couple cups of boiling water to get the temp back up there from 149. I pre-heated it with some 150 degree water so I am not sure why I am still loosing temp. It looks like it went down to 150 again and I have 19 minutes left.

But this is my first all grain which is pretty exciting.

Well, my brew day was successful. 1.052 at 5.5 gallons, bubbling away now. Seems pretty vigorous, but I have a blow off on there. I tried out a thinner mash, about 1.5 gt/lb, based on some other threads about thinner mashes increasing efficiency. I'm afraid it may finish a bit dry, but we shall see. I ended up dilluting down my water with 2gal tap water, and 6gal purified water. My hardness should have been reduced to around 70-80.

I've seen some mention of using mashtuns at less than their full capacity can cause larger heat loss than normal. Some use a styrofoam disk cut to the diameter of the tun to rest on top of the mash. I'd guess the heat transfer to the air above the mash is to blame.

I've seen some mention of using mashtuns at less than their full capacity can cause larger heat loss than normal. Some use a styrofoam disk cut to the diameter of the tun to rest on top of the mash. I'd guess the heat transfer to the air above the mash is to blame.

That makes sence. Maybe I will get some foam board isulation and cut it to fit. I also think I was having issues with my thermometers. But then this morning they seemed fine. We'll see how it turns out but I think for my first AG it went fairly smooth.

Had to put blow offs on both carboys yesterday and shes ripping like a champ!!!
God I love this Beer:mug:
HausPale_krausen_2009.JPG

I've been brewing about a year now and this is the best tasting batch I've made and all have been good. It's the reigning new number one position on my list.

However, I did notice I have the infamous "chill haze" which is new for me. I hit my numbers right on and got a really good cold break so I don't know how this occurred. I'm preparing to make another batch and would like to avoid this minor annoyance.

Any ideas what I may be doing (or not) which would produce the chill haze? Yes, it's definitely chill haze. The brew at 50 degrees is crystal clear, at 45 it looks like a wheat beer.

Going to brew up a batch of this tomorrow or Saturday (though I'll be using Magnum for bittering). A few questions:

Are the IBUs Tinseth or Rager? Would this beer benefit from first-wort hopping? And finally, do you suggest emulating a specific water profile, or just a generic "pale ale" water?

Thanks.

Here's what I have so far:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 4.15 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 5.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb LME Pilsen Light (Briess) [Boil for 15 minExtract 31.15 %
4.00 lb Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 41.54 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 20.77 %
0.50 lb Caramel Malt - 10L 6-Row (Briess) (10.0 SRGrain 5.19 %
0.13 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 1.35 %
0.55 oz Magnum [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (30 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
0.65 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Mash-Out and Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.75 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Mash-Out and Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 8.98 qt of water at 162.7 F 152.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 5.20 qt of water at 202.1 F 168.0 F

Notes:
------

I brewed this about a month or so ago, and it'll be bottled 2 weeks this Friday. It was one of the worst in door brewing days I've ever had. I really humped my mash temp. I thought I doughed in too high, so I cold water compensated, then it went too low and tried to go higher, etc. It wound up mashing at least half the time in the mid to high 140s. I was sure this batch was crap. Low and behold I tasted it tonight after it carbed and its quite delicious.

After the live n learn of this brew I had a successful brew day last Wednesday (not yesterday) with another recipe, but I want to do this recipe again now that I've got my bearings to see how much better this recipe is going to come. Thanks Ed for a great recipe!

I brewed this about a month or so ago, and it'll be bottled 2 weeks this Friday. It was one of the worst in door brewing days I've ever had. I really humped my mash temp. I thought I doughed in too high, so I cold water compensated, then it went too low and tried to go higher, etc. It wound up mashing at least half the time in the mid to high 140s. I was sure this batch was crap. Low and behold I tasted it tonight after it carbed and its quite delicious.

Good to hear. I did a PM last Saturday, and my temps were all over the place... I should have stuck it in the oven like Edwort says, but, no, I obviously knew better, and tried it on the stove top. Walked away, and it was WAY too hot. I was overcompensating back and forth the whole time.

But after 5 days fermenting quite nicely, I just tried some as I switched from a blowoff tube to an airlock, and it was quite nice. I have hope that it will be nice and delicious. Smells like farts though.

Well, I had a relatively disastrous brew day trying to clone this beer, mainly because my probe thermometer seems to have gone out of calibration for some reason. So I kind of improvised along the way, and ended up with just over five gallons of wort at 1.049 OG. I also spiced it up with a bit of EKG to go along with the Cascade. Should be an interesting brew. I probably should have stuck closer to the original recipe despite my issues, but that bottle of Zoetzuur (my favorite commercial beer) made me feel strangely spontaneous and creative.

My first AG today and I wanted it to be this recipe. All in all it went very well. My OG is an awful 1.035 but this could be due to the mill. I've heard complains lately about the LHBS not giving a good result EVEN after passing the grains twice as I did!
Anyway, I did it alone and really enjoyed the process but especially the wonderful smells from the boil.
I pitched it 30 minutes ago.
I'm relaxed, I'm not worried and I'm having a homebrew.

Cheers Ed and thanks for the recipe :mug:

I have searched the thread and noticed that a few people have dry-hopped this recipe. I am thinking of doing this brew this weekend and would like input on how a further dry-hop with more cascades might be.

My first AG today and I wanted it to be this recipe. All in all it went very well. My OG is an awful 1.035 but this could be due to the mill. I've heard complains lately about the LHBS not giving a good result EVEN after passing the grains twice as I did!
Anyway, I did it alone and really enjoyed the process but especially the wonderful smells from the boil.
I pitched it 30 minutes ago.
I'm relaxed, I'm not worried and I'm having a homebrew.

Cheers Ed and thanks for the recipe :mug:

Yeah this recipe was my first AG as well a couple weeks ago. My OG was pretty bad too so I brewed another AG this past weekend and did a double batch sparge as well as stirred the crap out of it when doughing in and whenever I added my sparge water. Granted it was a different recipe but my OG was pretty close to target so not stiring enough could have helped to cause that low OG.

Yeah this recipe was my first AG as well a couple weeks ago. My OG was pretty bad too so I brewed another AG this past weekend and did a double batch sparge as well as stirred the crap out of it when doughing in and whenever I added my sparge water. Granted it was a different recipe but my OG was pretty close to target so not stiring enough could have helped to cause that low OG.

I'm still blaming the crush. I'll be making a second batch over the yeast cake once I transfer. We'll see how that goes.
I will stir the crap out of it this time.

Ed, I just kegged 10 gallons of this, I decided I wanna dryhop 5 gallons with some cascades in the keg. My question is how much and how should i go about it? I've already searched the thread and didn't find the answer i was looking for, maybe I didn't look good enough? Thanks

Been through 100+ posts and I don't remember seeing anything about CO2 volumes. I'm new to kegging and I'll be kegging this at room temp 65*-70*. What CO2 volume do you recommend EdWort and how might you achieve that? :mug:

Ed, I just kegged 10 gallons of this, I decided I wanna dryhop 5 gallons with some cascades in the keg. My question is how much and how should i go about it? I've already searched the thread and didn't find the answer i was looking for, maybe I didn't look good enough? Thanks

I've done it with 1oz. I gave it a week in the keg before drinking it. By the second week :rockin:.

Thanks for the reply MGMT. So you set yours at 25-28psi @ 66 for about 2 weeks and then purge and take it down to serving pressure? I'll mostly likely be doing the set it and forget it method, not necessarily speeding force carbing.

Thanks for the reply MGMT. So you set yours at 25-28psi @ 66 for about 2 weeks and then purge and take it down to serving pressure? I'll mostly likely be doing the set it and forget it method, not necessarily speeding force carbing.

yeah I have done a couple kegs this way since I moved because i no longer have a large fridge to keep kegs in to carb. But 25-28 PSI seems to do the trick. I typically check the kegs after a week to see how they are doing.

I don't have it down to an exact science but it works.

I brewed a batch of this extract-style. I am going to bottle in a few days when I have time, but on my last OG test, the stuff tasted amazing flat and warm.

I used a 7.5% AA cascade, and I am really excited to see how it turns out when carbed, conditioned and chilled

Mine didn't turn out not quite as "haus" as expected.

OG - 1.052
FG - 1.004
ABV - 6.3%

I guess that thinner longer mash improved fermentability a bit too much. The hydrometer sample tastes great though. It's hard to tell warm and flat, but I think it may turn out pretty good. I even re-calibrated my hydrometer just to be sure.

Back