one of those "Oops" moments.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamPag

Reaction score
So I brewed up a Dunkle on saturday and everything was going awesome more or less, recipe was 60 minute boil 6lbs bavarian wheat DME, 8oz Caramunich 4oz Chocolate Malt, 4oz Carafa Special II, 1oz Perle at 15 mins, Safbrew T-58

I steeped the grains at 155* for about 30 mins, sparged into 175*, brought the kettle up to 3gal and went into my boil for 60 mins, cooled to 78*, poured onto 1 gal of 58* water, and topped off to 5.25 gals with 58* water to have a final wort temperature of 64*, Everything went perfectly as usual.

The recipe called for an OG of .050-.052 MY OG was .06, which is a BIT high, any idea why?

2nd thing (which is the "Oh $h*t moment) when I was putting my airlock on the bucket it pushed the rubber grommet through into the wort. SO naturally I ripped my shirt off like god damn hulk hogan and reached on in there to fish it out and get that air lock in. My lag time was appox 12 hours with an ambient temperature of 63*. When I went to the basement to go take a peak this morning it was bubbling away, but the basement had this whacky smell from the fermentation that i've never had before. Should I be worried about a possible contamination? Or is that totally normal? Ive never used T-58 so idk what to expect from this yeast.

Please share (if you have any) your rediculous beer smells.

My guess is that with that big of a beer going strong, you're going to get some aromas. Let the yeast do it's job, leave her alone, and I'm betting all will be well. Just remember, those smells are coming OUT of your beer :mug:

Are you going to call this hulk hogan mustache brew? Next time you go out to the LHBW, grab an extra fermenter lid so you'll have a spare grommet. Most likely you are noticing " funky" smells that were always there because of your accident. If I *had* to reach into my fermenter, I'd probably spray my arm with starsan first. Just hope it isn't REALLY great, because then you're going to have to recreate your accident :mug:

Yo if thats the case, im gonna take a bath in that **** next time while wearing my hulk-a-mania tee shirt from 1986.

I wouldn't consider T-58 a "dunkel" yeast. Maybe I am thinking of a different one, I thought that S-33 was the wheat yeast, and T-58 has more of a Belgian character.

Ill take pictures too, that'll be the label for the beer, Me. pouring a hot dunkel all over myself in a hulkster Tee while blasting Real American as loud as I can

Ill take pictures too, that'll be the label for the beer, Me. pouring a hot dunkel all over myself in a hulkster Tee while blasting Real American as loud as I can

For the love of beer, though...censor the junk!

Funny you mention this revvy and a few others explained the yeast "rhino farts" I had a spat with him about yeast smells and far as im concerned im pretty sure you have nothing to worry about its normal. I hate that the smell is normal but.....it is..... Others will chime in and tell ya the same AND YES! The grommet happens to everybody!

Back