WLP029 Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I know there are a couple threads out there about this yeast (slow starter, etc.).

But, I was wondering what temperature you have fermented with this yeast. I am brewing a Kolsch and I know those are traditionally kept pretty cool, but White Labs website says:
White Labs said:
Some strains do ferment well in the 55-60°F, but this Kolsch strain works best at the 66-68°F temperature range. It has a very clean flavor profile at that temperature range. Some strains do not, so the lower temperatures produce better Kolsch. You can ferment WLP029 in the 55-60°F range, but we recommend against it because it is a difficult fermentation to keep going. Kosch can be cold lagered, and the flavor profile will be improved.

Obviously they say 66-68, but what about 60-66, they nothing about that range.

I want some fruity flavors (as the style dictates) but not too much.

Since it is almost 90 here in Hotlanta and I am too cheap to turn on the AC, I have a fridge with a Ranco temp. control. So I can hit any temp I want.

Also, while we are on the topic, how far in advance should I make the starter? And, how long can it go if I have to delay (might rain this weekend)?

Thanks

Back