Multiple Brew Pots for a 5 Gal Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBurger538

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just started doing All Grain brewing. Can I use the two 5gal stock pots that I currently have and combine them in the primary fermentor to come up with the 5gal total volume for the batch or is it better to have the 4.5gal pre-boil volume that would end up around 3-3.5gal after the boil and top off with water in the primary?

You should be perfectly fine splitting the two. You just need to recalculate your hop utilization due to the lower volumes.

1+

That's the way I've been doing it for awhile now. The other big consideration is boil off. You will have more boil off with two pots, so start with more wort.

Also, on the hop thing, I'm lazy and don't like to clean, so I only hop 1 pot, I have basically keeping my hop ratio about the same as I was when partial mashing and it's worked well.

Bottom line, do what works best for you. You'll still make good beer in the end.

Thanks for the quick responses! I think I may do what "Crinkle" suggested and only add the hops to one pot and see how that batch turns out.

Thanks again!

I use two pots. I calculate the IBU's as if there were only one pot and then add 1/2 of each addition to each pot during each of the two boils. Works out great. And, honestly, it doesn't add that much time because while one pot is in an ice bath I start boiling the other.

ayoungrad said:
I use two pots. I calculate the IBU's as if there were only one pot and then add 1/2 of each addition to each pot during each of the two boils. Works out great. And, honestly, it doesn't add that much time because while one pot is in an ice bath I start boiling the other.

+1... Been doing this also for a long time.. I collect all my runnings into a bucket, give it a good stir and split into 2 separate boils splitting all my additions.. I just throw everything (hops & break) into the fermenter and everything drops out. I also get a really good boil that way too on my stove top..

Back