Beer Tools vs Spreadsheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased Beer Tools Pro thinking besides generating a recipe, I could use it to help track, analyze and record data and opinions of my brew from extract to glass.

I've done kits so far, and all I've wanted to track was brew date, OG, Gravity readings/tastings, FG, ABV and comments. I cant find any simple way in BT to organize and track this data for all the brews you have going. I would think they would build in a calendar with reminder functionality, and a better way to track tastings and readings.
The best I can see, is that besides generating and sharing a recipe or searching for one someone else has made, BT doesn't off much organizational benefits for the home brewer.
So, I've resorted to a basic spreadsheet with a tab for each batch for this data.

Am I wrong? Am I missing the point of BT?

CPooley4 said:
Send me your email address via pm. I'll send you something to try out.

Are you sending out something related to btp or something to try out along side btp?

The point of beer tools is to design your own recipes so that you can calculate the original gravity and ibu's of beer without flying blind. For all grain brewers you can use it to change existing recipes to your systems efficiency.If you are using just kits then all of that info is figured out for you. Try making your own recipes and you will see its value.

It's something separate. I'm almost done with a fairly substantial upgrade to my brew chart. Thought it would be useful for him as it would allow him to do what he's describing plus a lot more. I'll be posting it sometime in the near future once it's completed, but if you want to take a look I'd send you a copy as well. Just shoot me your email.

cp

Thanks, really appreciate it.

I'll be posting it here once I've finished up a few minor items. The Designing Beers tab I'm going to leave as is for now. Want to see what others think of it before I put too much work into it. Think it should be quite useful for people, but we'll see what everyone thinks.

cp

Thanks, really appreciate it.

It's become a bit of an addiction. My wife is really happy about that...

I've actually tried that and it doesn't map correctly for some reason. I'll try again soon and see if I can figure it out.

Back