Freezer to Keezer / Kegerator Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoNova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished converting my chest freezer into a keezer / kegerator. Here are some pictures of the finished project. I'll post some more of the step-by-step procedure soon. Note that I am NOT very handy. But it still turned out pretty darn nice. With a bit of motivation anyone can build this. Also note, my friends on homebrewtalk.com are responsible for all the ideas behind the project. :mug:

2375-a.jpg

2378-a.jpg

2377-a.jpg

what did you use to get the goo off the vials from the old sticker?

Great question. I soaked the vials in oxiclean (since that works so well with removing bottle labels). That made the bulk of the vial label easily peel off. After trying all sorts of other things to get the really sticky adhesive off, long story short, my wife suggested a product called "Goo Gone". She sprayed that on, waited a few minutes, and the sticky adhesive came right off!! No problem. :ban:

Really like the chalkboard. Is that painted directly onto the freezer?

Yes it is. However, I would do it differently if I had it to do over. The chalkboard paint did not want to adhere to the surface of the freezer. Perhaps a light sanding or primer would make it better. However, I've got about 4-5 coats of chalkboard paint on there and it seems to be fine.

Can you link the insert used to fix the tap handles to the faucet? I like that idea.

Never mind, I found it on your site.

_

@ george: Thanks! I'm not sure what model of freezer I have. It's an oldie that was left in the house by the previous owners. I looked for a model # but it must have been on a sticker that was removed during the conversion to keezer.

@ perciles: hope to see you at our next meeting. March 3 at Flip & Baileys.

@ wildwest: I first tried using a dual-threaded screw but that's more for homemade wooden handles. A couple of friends had to help me realize the easy and obvious solution of simply using washers and bolts!!

:mug:

Back