Hard Cucumber Lemonade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVarmy

Reaction score
I've had lemonades made with cucumbers before, and I like the neat refreshing effect the cucumber flavor adds. Plus, the green color is interesting, and it makes this homebrew project something that can't be bought from store shelves.

Has anyone tried making a hard lemonade with cucumbers? If not, what would be the best way to go about it? Could I boil the cucumber juice or add Campden tablets to sanitize it?

I tried looking up something for you... Terry Garey, Making Wild Wines & Meads, and 101 Recipes for Making Wile Wines at Home. Nothing on cucumbers!

Actually, reading that recipe, I would do exactly as it says to make it a wine, but adding more sugar, pectic enzyme, and campden tablet. Actually, I would boil the water and sugar, and then add it to the cuke juice once it is cooled (less than 90 degrees F). Boiling the cuke juice would mess the flavor up, much like boiling apple juice gives it a cooked flavor. Then again, who knows how this would turn out, as grape wines don't taste like grapes, so why would this taste like cukes and lemons? Maybe you would be better off making up the drink and adding vodka, rum, or even a splash of gin like cucumber Hendriks.

Good point, CandleWine. Maybe I could add the (sanitized) cucumber juice with the potassium sorbate? Although even a plain batch would be great, so I might do that instead.

Back