Advice on Blueberry Wine Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkruer01

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am going to start my first batch of wine and I am going for a blueberry wine. I found this site online:
http://www.eckraus.com/index.php?action=help&helpfile=home-wine-making-recipes.html

The blueberry recipe is as follows (5 gals):
13lbs Blueberries
11lbs Sugar
1tbsp Yeast Energizer
3/4tsp Peptic Enzyme
2tbsp acid blend
Montrachet Yeast

Do any of you more experienced wine makers see any problems with this recipe or have any advice? What should I expect from this recipe as far as flavor, dryness, abv, etc?

Thanks!
Jeremy

Cool site. I like the table set up, as it makes it easy to read and nice and condensed. Not much scrolling involved for so many recipes.

I think 2 tablespoons of acid blend seems like a lot, but maybe not. I'd probably start with about 1/2 that amount, and add more if it's needed for taste later on. I'm not sure how acidic blueberries are, but you may have enough acid with much less acid blend.

Ok, so here comes the newbie questions!

1)Can I add acid blend at any time?
2)What does acid blend do?
3)How do I know if I have too much/too little acid blend?

Thanks!
Jeremy

1)Can I add acid blend at any time?
2)What does acid blend do?
3)How do I know if I have too much/too little acid blend?

1. Yes, you can add it at anytime. Later might be better because you can add it to taste instead of simply following the recipe.
2. Acid balances sweetness and alcohol flavor. It make the wine more tart and lively. Wine without enough acid will seem flat and dead.
3. I go by what tastes good to me. Some aim for a specific pH and titrable acidity. Go with what works for you.

Just a bit off topic here but can you save a wine that is too acidy? Like lemon juice acidy not vinegar acidy.

Hi Emerald-the mead folks buffer their low PH mead musts-seems like you should be able to do the same with a wine.

Just curious on how things are going? I have blueberries in the freezer that are just begging to be made into wine! Why, I even have about 2 or 2 1/2 pounds of honey too...:D Just enuf for a one gallon batch!

I'd consider adding maybe 1/2 teaspoon of tannin to a batch that size. Maybe just a hair more pectic enzyme, too, although some folks can be sensitive to off flavors from it. It's never bugged me though. Since it doesn't bug me, I'd add a bit more to help on clarity, since murky wine *would* bug me and filtering does not appeal to me.

Back