My "assitant brewing" for life...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewAbides

Reaction score
EDIT: By the way, the title of this thread should be "My 'assistant brewer' for life". Carry on.

Wifes! They try to help, but somtimes they pull something like this:

ME: (pointing to my Wyeast smack pack that has been growing for 3 days) "Will you go put this in the sanitizer bucket so I don't contaminate my brew as I pour it in?"

WIFE: "Sure. (comes back 5 minutes later) Is that inside pocket thingy supposed to get poured into the sanitizer as well?"

ME: "Uh..What? You didn't...did you?" :mad:

Apparently I should have let her know that the actual yeast doesn't need to be sanitized...just the package. So she made an emergency trip to the local brew store to obtain unsanitized yeast.

Feel free to share your "assistant brewer" story. I don't know if this can be topped though. :D

Wow that's sucky. A couple years ago my brother had a bottle of some wine, and my mother was around and picked up the bottle pretty vigorously, so I told her to be careful not to shake it. Apparently, she did not hear the "not" word in that statement, so she said, "What? Shake it?" and shook the HELL out of that poor bottle. My brother and I both yelled "NOOO!" and proceeded to stare at her in fear/aggravation. AFAIK, it still ended up fine. So no harm, no foul I guess.

I told that story to my wife and we both were laughing. Luckily I don't have any stories that bad. If anything extra help has been nice for me because I was recirculating wort thru a cfc and back into my kettle when my water hose fell out of the sink and started running under the fridge. That's when help came to the rescue. Unfortunately she still made me clean up the mess after I was done cooling the wort. Most the time when I ask her if she wants to help she says yes and never actually comes into the kitchen. Then again that way my yeast doesn't end up as a sanitizer slurry....haha. Sorry to laugh but it's still funny.

My wife helps me by NOT being around when I brew. She's the best SWMBO in the world but things just seem to get knocked over, spilled or dropped when she's around :cross:

My wife helps me by NOT being around when I brew. She's the best SWMBO in the world but things just seem to get knocked over, spilled or dropped when she's around :cross:

My wife has never helped me at all with brewing, but I swear she manages to hurt herself somehow every single day. Like, closing a cabinet door on her hand, or stubbing her toe, or dropping something on her own foot, etc. Frankly, I'm GLAD she's not trying to help me brew. I'd hate to see the resulting injuries!

My wife helps by keeping my beer full and the fire pit roaring. It was a little tough yesterday, but we managed. I can't complain...:mug:

Amen to that brotha. I was outside for nearly 4 hrs. snowblowing. Today I feel like crap. It was hard work, but I stopped a few times to enjoy a beer. :mug:

Amen to that brotha. I was outside for nearly 4 hrs. snowblowing. Today I feel like crap. It was hard work, but I stopped a few times to enjoy a beer. :mug:

goodness gracious, is your swmbo one of the ladies in your avatar? can you please share an enlarged pic, for.. um... research
JK :cross:

I'm too anal to have anyone brew with me. I just find it annoying if someone is around.

My wife has always been very supportive of my homebrewing and has capped every beer I have every bottled. Her support means alot to me.

With that said, I have been told that I can be "short" with people if my brew day isnt going 100% as expected. She has learned to just avoid me and only help when asked.

My wife usually stays out of the way when I'm brewing. She likes the beer, and the bread and pizza dough made from spent grains, but she doesn't know much about the process so she sits back and watches TV during brew days.

Yeah my wife stays clear - she knows the process but wants nothing to do with it really. She loves the beer, and I think actually enjoys her "alone" time when I am brewing.... Win win situation! LOL

SWMBO and kiddo don't usually want to have much to do with brewday, but teh kiddo will sometimes go to the HBS with me. She likes to pour grain into the crusher.

Me and my roommate are co-brewers, but the other 3 roommates are eager to help as assistant brewers. My SWMBO has little to no interest in brewing, but leaves me to do my thing. It certainly makes things easy having a 5 man bottling operation

If it were warmer my girlfriend might help out more. I swear she's part reptilian at times, always cold unless it's 75 and she has a hoodie on.

Typically my dog and I are relagated to the garage. He makes for a lousy assistant. At 100lbs and with a 3ft tail that's known for taken out knees I'm more worried he's going to knock something over. Hasn't happened yet, but it's inevitable.

Mine's great- also knows I can do it alone, so she doesn't feel she needs to correct me. Just follows my direction mostly. Very helpful for water-bath (sink) wort chilling, as well as transferring to primary. Now that I keg we're both spared the trouble/ mess of bottling, which she has never had the privilege of participating in. Oh, and she lets me buy the equipment I need, as long as I (1) sell it to her properly, as in less mess and space taken up and (2) buy her something of equal or greater value - doesn't hurt if said object is shiny and contains a pretty rock. Kyle

My mothers husband had a large bottle of Grey Goose that was partially gone. He wanted to put it into a smaller bottle so he filled the small Grey Goose bottle with the contents of the large one. However, there was about 6 oz. left over, so he put it into a clear water bottle. My mother, upon seeing the partially full water bottle on the counter, proceeded to pour the contents onto a nearby house plant and tossed the bottle! The plant died a quick death!

My SWMBO breaks glass....period. If it is glass she will find a way to break it. She is attracted to it for some reason. Yesterday I left my 6.5 Gal carboy next to the sink soaking and I didn't put it away before going to work the next day. Luckily she didn't break it but I was worried all day at work that I would come home and it be in a million pieces.

Latest posts

Back