My very first milling!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Yes, I know that this is trivial but it was still cool nonetheless. I went to my LHBS to gather ingredients for my CCA. One of the ingredients was 60L carmel. So, I got to mill my own grains for the very first time. The smell was so awesome! I loved the fact that I could smell my freshly milled grains all the way home too.
Of course the SWMBO and daughter dont think it smells as wonderful as I do. :rockin:
Cant wait to start this new brew!
-Me

I think I'll always love that smell. I always chew a few grains too. Brewing is just varsity cooking. You have to know and experience the ingrediants.

My son has come to enjoy the smell and very shortly after I bring in milled grain from the garage in what I thought were sealed buckets, he asks me if I am brewing and if he can do anything to help. He's eight. I hope to have started him early! :D

My soon to be ex-wife hated it. Oh well...I am better off! :rockin:

:tank:

ohhhh, I love that smell. My local home brew store (Beer and Wine Makers Pantry) Has the grain mill and all. Man, the smell of freshly cracked grain is so nice.

I love the smell of mashing grain, the company I work for is about 50 yards from Boulder Brewing Co. I love when I am at work and the smell of mashing grains starts wafting into my building, followed a bit later by boiling wort and hops!

when I did my first brew Sat. the smells of the grains and the hops made me believe I'm going to like this hobby. Next Step AG

Speaking of which, I stopped by and picked up the ingredients for a simple extract brew that I am doing tomorrow. Got a pound of 20L for steeping but noticed when I got home it hasnt been milled. Any suggestions?

Speaking of which, I stopped by and picked up the ingredients for a simple extract brew that I am doing tomorrow. Got a pound of 20L for steeping but noticed when I got home it hasnt been milled. Any suggestions?

I've heard you can use a rolling pin to crush grains but I have never tried it. It probably wouldn't be too bad with only a pound of grain.

I would say put them loosely in a plastic bag (or someway similar) then use a bottle or rolling pin to crack their hulls I dont think you want them 'ground' just cracked to let their beautiful goodness come out during the steeping.
-Me

I have a rolling pin, that is what I will do. This is my first extract from a can, not sure what to expect. We'll know soon enough.
Thanks for the tip(s)!

Well, the rolling pin worked great! Split the pound of 20L into 3 batches and crushed them in a large zip-lock with a rolling pin. My recipe calls for a 1/2lb. so I have a 1/2lb. for my next brew. I also chewed a few of them. Taste like Sugar Smacks!!!

Here is the recipe....

8lbs. Alexander's Pale Male Extract
1/2lb. 20L

1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

WLOO1 Yeast

I wanted a bit of Munich LME in there to get as close to Edworts Haus Pale Ale as I could but my shop didnt have it in stock.

Brewing it this afternoon.

Well, the rolling pin worked great! Split the pound of 20L into 3 batches and crushed them in a large zip-lock with a rolling pin. My recipe calls for a 1/2lb. so I have a 1/2lb. for my next brew. I also chewed a few of them. Taste like Sugar Smacks!!!

Here is the recipe....

8lbs. Alexander's Pale Male Extract
1/2lb. 20L

1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

WLOO1 Yeast

I wanted a bit of Munich LME in there to get as close to Edworts Haus Pale Ale as I could but my shop didnt have it in stock.

Brewing it this afternoon.

Not sure who Alexander is, but you may wanna reconsider!:p

my wife loves the smells of brewing but doesn't like beer! meh go figure at least she loves me brewing, mostly cause it means i'm home.

Back