only 48 bottles from 5 gallon batch=problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hagen505

Reaction score
Well, I was expecting to get around 60 bottles worth out of my 5 gallon batch of bitter, but I only filled 47.5 bottles. Perhaps I didn't measure the 5 gallon mark on the carboy properly. How many do you usually get from 5 gallons, and should I be concerned about the ratio of 3/4 cup corn sugar for the bottles? i.e to much carbonation?

hagen505 said:
Well, I was expecting to get around 60 bottles worth out of my 5 gallon batch of bitter, but I only filled 47.5 bottles. Perhaps I didn't measure the 5 gallon mark on the carboy properly. How many do you usually get from 5 gallons, and should I be concerned about the ratio of 3/4 cup corn sugar for the bottles? i.e to much carbonation?

What size bottle are you using? If you are talking about standard 12 oz. bottles, there are 128 fl. oz. per gallon, meaning 640 fl. oz. in 5 gallons. Therefore, if you are filling 12 oz. bottles you would get a little over 53 bottles. Maybe you are putting in slightly more than 12 oz., or maybe you have slightly less than 5 gal., neither of which is a problem.

128 ounces per gallon. times five gallons equals 640 ounces.

640 ounces divided by 12 ounce beer bottles equals a theoretical maximum of 53.33333 bottles per batch, though you should expect some losses due to trub and other factors.

I usually get 46-50, preferring to leave more sediment at the bottom. Using a secondary fermenter or leaf hops also tends to reduce the amount of beer I can bottle. So too does a low flocculant yeast. If the yeast doesn't like to settle, I'll usually leave a bit more on the bottom of the carboy to avoid mixing it up in the batch.

That's good news, thanks. My book said to have 60 bottles ready. I'm glad that you get about the same amount. I didn't want to have to handle all the bottles with safety glasses on. The RDWHAHB is great until someone gets a shard of jagged glass in the eye.

Back