DME for PH Buffering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
I thought I remembered someone here saying that you could use a little DME to buffer the PH in your mash and sparge water...in a pinch you know...like if you needed it right now and couldn't get to the LHBS. Does anyone remember anything about that, and know how much DME to use? TIA

I can't see how DME could act as a "buffer", per se. Chemically, a buffer is a solution made up of a relatively weak acid/base and it's salt, and it just tends to hang around whatever pH it sits at, absorbing relatively astonishing amounts of acidity or alkalinity.

I would be surprised if DME would act that way.

However, as always, I could be totally wrong, and will be glad to hear if others feel differently.

Negits here as well. Haven't run across the concept anywhere. I just use pH 5.2.

El Pistolero said:
I thought I remembered someone here saying that you could use a little DME to buffer the PH in your mash and sparge water...in a pinch you know...like if you needed it right now and couldn't get to the LHBS. Does anyone remember anything about that, and know how much DME to use? TIA

Simple answer, it wont work!!

Back