Infection, Mold?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dollhousebrewery

Reaction score
Hello all, I just recently brewed my third AG batch, I reused my sanitizing solution, for the first time ever. I use strictly Star San mixed a little over. It was perhaps a week old, sitting in my "Ale Pail" that I use to store it while brewing. I know Star San is supposed to last, so I thought, well why not try it? Now I think I have mold growing. There is a lot of weird pieces floating on top. They are yellowish white. Kind of offwhite. I have no digital camera, unfortunately.

Is it salvagable?

What if I rack it into a sanitary carboy now? It has been sitting for 3 days. It took its sweet time to take off, and when it did, it took off pretty well for about a day. Can I just rack it? Or will the reduction of yeast make it more likely to not survive? How else can I clean it?

I had it coming not making new star san, but I thought I would try it.

Thanks in advance,
Nate

I only keep my star san solution for 5 days, but I believe it will go for longer. It’s hard to tell where the sanitary issue came from, there are many factors, just to be on the safe side it’s better to create a new solution for every brew. Anyway, I think you should rack into a sanitary carboy as soon as possible. I have also heard of brewers who attempt to scoop the mold out with a sanitary spoon, though I would rather rack. Pitch some new dry yeast and see if fermentation takes off. After a week take a sample and smell/taste it, determine whether the beer is good or bad. Hopefully it will work out in your favor. Good luck!

Personally sounds to me like you are seeing the yeast, but with no pictures its hard to say. I would just let it be and see what happens. How long has it been since you pitched your yeast? Has it started fermenting?

3 days since pitch. I still have some hope that it is yeast. I will see if I can use a digital cam of someone elses to get a picture. I still have hope, but very little.

Yes, it took off about a day after the pitch.

All you can do right now is RDWHAHB!

Give it a week or two and taste it. If it tastes like really bad bread, it's possibly a dumper (but I'd still see it through, just in case). My guess is that you're seeing signs of life from the yeast, and everything will be A-OK.

Thanks guys, I was all worried and upset, RDWHAHB is a good call. Good thing I am already on that! I am actually working on emptying my cornie! It just wont get empty, I have been trying so hard to get it to just be gone! I need to rack my second batch into it (I've only got 1).

(I've been dying to say this for the first time)

You should send it to me, I'll put it into my stomach, err, I mean ICU and get rid of that nasty infection :D

I bet you 5 98EXL bucks that it will be fine

(5 98EXL bucks = $0.0000000002 American dollars :D)

Back