Built a Keezer Today :) :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbradford

Reaction score
So I pulled the trigger yesterday on a chest freezer and decided to build my keezer.

I went to the hardware store yesterday so that I could get an early start today (10:30 is early for me, I work nights).

keez1.jpg

Started by cutting the marble top I got on craigslist for $40:) It took 8 crappy masonty blades to cut through, but can be done.

keez2.jpg

keez3.jpg

Next was to trim it out with poplar. Seemed kind of tall, I don't know if the freezer itself is too tall, or if it is the stud floor that the freezer sits on.

keez6.jpg

Finally I finished the coffin. I looked for my taps, but could only come accross 3 complete, 1 nitro fauce, and a shank... I must have done something with the others?

Like I said, I like it, but it seems too tall :( I also think that I will change the backsplash to take the entire back of the keezer, perhaps making it seem less tall.

keez7.jpg

And here is a shot with some little things from around the house to make it seem a little less obtrusive and stark.

I still need to seal some of the gaps, finish some trim, and decide whether I go clear coat or stain.

keez8.jpg

The marble stops about 8.5 inches from the back of the top. I havn't run them yet, but I will enclose the back of the coffin, cut several holes, insulate, and install fans to circulate the temp. I will probably also install fans in the fram to vent the sidewalls of the chest freezer.

Marbel weighs 200-250 lbs. A ***** to work with and I am concerned whether I will need to install some more hinges that I have on hand.

The granite is attached to the lid. The entir thing rolls forward and you lift the lid. I am investigating gas springs for the lid.

looks amazing! i went with the typical chalkboard paint, yours with the granite and wood enclosure is super classy

After tinkering with it, I have dediced that I will simply slide the granite off when I need to remove lid, and then replace it when finished. Slightly more difficult than just lifting lid, but no stress on the hinges.

You may be too far along to do this but, what if you made the entire wooden housing slide out on wheels leaving the freezer in place. You would need to figure out how the handle the the extra length of lines new needed to do this but should be easier than lifting a 200 lb piece if granite every tine you need access to the freezer.

You may be too far along to do this but, what if you made the entire wooden housing slide out on wheels leaving the freezer in place. You would need to figure out how the handle the the extra length of lines new needed to do this but should be easier than lifting a 200 lb piece if granite every tine you need access to the freezer.

Sounds like what I had in mind. I've seen others who built their cabinet so that it would simply roll away from the freezer. Doing that, you would not have to ever lift the marble top and it would not really be sitting on top or your freezer lid smashing the seals.

BTW, you have given me an idea for a new saying: "Rome was not built in a day...but a damn nice keezer can be."

Huh... I could consider that, I haven't stained it yet, and the great thing about building thing out if wood I that you can always change things... It would take 15 foot lines though:(

I wonder if you could do some sort of quick disconnect? They might cause some foaming issues but I do not have an experience with them so I cannot comment.

It would take valves and disconnects... I have some o both, but maybe not 6... I buy and sell on Craigslist and have buckets of parts, but maybe not enough:(

Finished the keezer!

I do love it. The height has grown on me. I havn't installed gas springs yet, and for now am awkwardly removing marble when I open. Not a big deal once the beer is carbed, but a pain in the @$$ when force carbing.

I finished the coffin and sanded and stained. I picked a natural stain and finished with polyurethane.

Only further project on this will be insulating back of coffin and installing a fan to cool lines in said coffin.

I will also move some of the regulators out to my walk-in so that I can carb there, then move carbed kegs to keezer for serving.

Here are some pics...

keezer3.jpg

keezer2.jpg

keezer1.jpg

keezer.jpg

And since i am so proud of my walk-in.... Here it is too!

Compressor cut out so I installed a window a/c and tricked the thermostat with a can heater.

walkin.jpg

Back