should i take a gravity reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhaw

Reaction score
I have two brews in primary currently since 21 and 22 september(my second and third homebrews ever). An Imperial Stout and an Arrogant Bastard clone. After reading a ton of threads on here i have decided to skip the secondary fermentation and keep in primary for approx 4-6 weeks to let it come together. Is it wrong to assume that my target SG SHOULD have been met by then? Should I check SG now and again when ready to bottle, or just wait until ready to rack? First gravity reading were 1.080 and 1.090. thanks to all who help

I hear ya, but do you take reading in between or just check gravity at the end?

It's up to you....A gravity reading is to answer guestions you have about the beer, mainly where it's at. It's your diagnostic tool.

If you have a suspicion, if you're worried about something, if you need your mind appeased about something, then yeah.

But if you trust your yeast, if you've pitched plenty of it, and aerated....in other words given your yeast everything it needs to do it's job then, then no.....

For normal beers, and normal situations, I pitch and walk away for a month, then take a grav reading and bottle. But if I'm doing something special, or different, then I might.

It really depends on the situation and the brew.

thanks to the both of yall Im gonna check to ease my mind

dang! was just curious as where i was. maybe ill wait. dont really have any concerns

I would definitely take one, just wait a couple more weeks. With proper sanitation, infections are rare.

I always wait till the 2 week mark to take a first FG sample to see how close it is to done. For you,that'd be Saturday Oct 6th.

When I was starting up I took far more readings. I liked to watch the gravity drop and taste the stuff along the way.

Now I know what's going on and I test when I think it's done.

When I first started brewing I took gravity readings on a weekly basis, among other things to taste and satisfy my curiosity. Now I take an OG just before I pitch, a FG just before I rack and let it ride in between. Much less to worry about since I turned on my fermentation chamber. Also, I have a pipeline of old favorites to satisfy my tastebuds.

Back