Oxiclean and plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgstiffler

Reaction score
Anyone know what affect Oxiclean has on plastic? I just discovered that I left my auto-siphon and tubing soaking in Oxiclean for almost a month now. Oops.

Short answer: Is it cracked, appear shattered, cloudy like it is etched or is it now rubbery? if no, then does water rinse it clean? if yes, I say G2G.

It looks like shattered safety glass after I've done that in the past. Star San does the same thing. I've actually had star san eat through the bottom of an old bucket I was keeping it in. try some vinyl tube for a month. lol it makes it look milky and sticky.

I'd hot rinse it all out and see how it looks. Maybe follow up with another warm oxy clean and hot rinse, then use a qtip to swap the inside of tubing/cane to see if any funk comes off it. If not I'd sanitize and put to use, otherwise discolored or swab shows funky stuff get new tubing

Nope, milky and gross, happened to me a bit. Try not to leave it more than a day or two to prevent that.

Back