Mold floating in stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sentfromspain

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I switched my stout from primary to secondary, adding vanilla bean. Just came back from vacations to find there is white mold (we are talking furry mold, not just spots) floating on top.

Logic would tell me that the culprit is the vanilla, and the general idea I gather is that there shouldn't be any problem, but I have no idea what the furry mold will do when I bottle this batch.

Thoughts?

Bummer. What are your cleaning and sanitization practices like?

Also, did you soak the vanilla bean in vodka or other alcohol before adding it to secondary?

I use star sans to clean all of my instruments and containers, and I am fairly thorough.

The vanilla bean was soaked in a half a glass of vodka. Both were placed in the secondary before adding the stout.

I mean to taste the stout before bottling to see if it is ruined or contaminated in some other way. To tell the truth I am not very optimistic.

My secondary fermentor has a spigot at the bottom. Since the mold is floating at the top I figured I could move most of it into a different vessel without mixing too much before bottling.

I would be pretty upset if the batch turns out bad because I put a lot of love into this one.

My secondary fermentor has a spigot at the bottom. Since the mold is floating at the top I figured I could move most of it into a different vessel without mixing too much before bottling.

I would be pretty upset if the batch turns out bad because I put a lot of love into this one.

Back