Need some bourbon advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerMcAllen

Reaction score
So SWIMBO is taking me to her parents' for Thanksgiving, and they traditionally have a spirits tasting. This year grandma decided on bourbon. Everyone is supposed to bring one to try, and I now nothing about bourbon.

What's the Balvenie of bourbon ($30-40, but high quality)?
What qualities are in a bourbon drinker's bourbon (e.g. Scotch can be peaty)?

I like Woodford Reserve. It's $25 on sale at my local liquormart, about $32 at the Asian liquor store on the corner. Drinks like it's a lot more expensive than it is.

Another, cheaper, option is Bulleit, which is usually around $18-20, but still good.

The thing with bourbon is that it all contains at least %51 corn and is aged in new charred oak barrels. Therefore, the flavor profile probably does not vary as much as Irish whiskey or Scotch. The flavors that come out are primarily vanilla, caramel, etc. You won't get any smoke, for example.

I used to read a Bourbon forum, but nobody argues about anything. Everyone loves all the bourbons, it's just that some are better than others.

The very best you could do would be 20 year old Pappy Van Winkle. They release it twice a year, I think, and the fall release just passed. Good luck finding it...You have to get to know a local liquor store here to score a bottle and , last I checked, went for about $190 - $200.

Don't despair, though, just pick a bourbon at a price point you are comfortable with. Consider the following: Buffalo Trace (rye in the grist), Weller, Weller Antique, Sazerac rye, Eagle Rare (those are all from BT in Frankfort). Wild Turkey and Four Roses are good, as are Woodford Reserve. Locals here (Louisville) like Makers Mark (wheated, sweeter) and Old Forester. There are others, they are all good bourbons.

You can't go wrong, unless you mix with Cola or make a super sweet Julep. Pour it neat or on the rocks.

+1 to Buffalo Trace. It's pretty spicy compared to some. I'm underwhelmed by Maker's and Wild Turkey, but I'll drink them if they're around. Whatever you do don't get Jim Beam or Jack Daniels.

if you like makers mark and woodford reserve then try to find Black Maple Hills. Small batch and fantastic.

bulleit bourbon
BulleitBottleGlass.jpg

one of my faves, plus its the one they drank in that HBO series deadwood.

Elijah Craig 12yo is always a good one.

Its not Bourbon, but Bernheim Original Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey is an interesting wheat based American Whisky. May be weird to Bourbon lovers, but its a good break from the norm.

can you get away with scotch? gots lotsa suggestions for that one

Nope, they do Scotch every year at Christmas. This is strictly about trying something new.

Keep the suggestions coming. I'm sure I'm not going to be the only one attending that will have no idea what to get.

I'm a fan of the single barrel, barrel-proof "reserve" releases from any of the usual suspects. They are all very good, and since they are unblended they have a lot of nuance you just won't get in a typical bottle.

+1 to Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare. I've tried a wide array of bourbons, but I always come back to these 2 bottles. Both are great for the price. ~$25

I'm as much of a bourbon snob as I am a beer snob, but I'm cheap, too, so here are some that are really, really good, in your general price range, and will be interesting alongside the Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, and Knob Creek others are likely to bring (good bourbons all of them, Knob Creek being one of my all-time favorites, though its big brother Baker's is my favorite from Beam).

Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve has a sizeable portion of rye in the grist, giving it a nice spicy, grassy flavor. Smooth, too. Bonus points because it was the first bourbon my wife liked, and it's hardly light on flavor.

W.L. Weller is a nice wheat bourbon, so will have a flavor that, to my palate, seems sweeter than the Wild Turkey. Another really nice whiskey at a good price.

Finally, Evan Williams Single Barrel is a fairly "typical" grist, but is simply a higher quality bourbon, a real sipping bottle. There's no better deal- other bourbons I'd compare to it go for 20 dollars more.

a +1 to the Elijah Craig 12yo- the bottle I keep on hand, as I can get it for about 20 bucks here. Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are fine ones, too.

Every year I get a bottle of Philips Union Cherry Whiskey for a golf tournament. Great for sipping or shots. Much better than that Jim Beam Red Stag crap.

I'm as much of a bourbon snob as I am a beer snob, but I'm cheap, too, so here are some that are really, really good, in your general price range, and will be interesting alongside the Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, and Knob Creek others are likely to bring (good bourbons all of them, Knob Creek being one of my all-time favorites, though its big brother Baker's is my favorite from Beam).

Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve has a sizeable portion of rye in the grist, giving it a nice spicy, grassy flavor. Smooth, too. Bonus points because it was the first bourbon my wife liked, and it's hardly light on flavor.

W.L. Weller is a nice wheat bourbon, so will have a flavor that, to my palate, seems sweeter than the Wild Turkey. Another really nice whiskey at a good price.

Finally, Evan Williams Single Barrel is a fairly "typical" grist, but is simply a higher quality bourbon, a real sipping bottle. There's no better deal- other bourbons I'd compare to it go for 20 dollars more.

a +1 to the Elijah Craig 12yo- the bottle I keep on hand, as I can get it for about 20 bucks here. Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are fine ones, too.

This is a great post! Elijah Craig 12yo is my daily pour as well.

I especially appreciate your comment about the bottles that others are likely to bring - I think the original poster would do well following your advice.

As for my own suggestion, if the OP finds himself in the store unable to make a decision, words like "small batch" and "single barrel" may be helpful to guide you on your choice.

Booker's or Knob Creek are on my purchase list when I go shopping. I had someone give me some Crown a couple of years ago for Christmas. If I knew was coming over I would always feed some to the sink so he thought I was drinking the stuff.

Back