Crystal hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
I am looking for some proven recipes using crystal hops. I posted a request about a month ago for a rye ale w/ crystal and it came back empty. So now I am searching for any proven recipes.

I recently broke down my # from Harv and was blown away by the aroma, and am excited to use them in the near future.

Please help if you can

I am posting in my own post what I have already read.

WIKI: article discusses a specific variety of hops. For general information about selecting, using or propogating hops, see the main hop page

A triploid released in 1993 as part of a program attempting to develop an American substitute for Hallertauer Mittelfrüh, Crystal was derived primarily from Hallertauer with contributions from Cascade, Brewer's Gold and Early Green. Also known as CJF-Hallertau. Sister hops from the same program include Liberty, Mount Hood, and Ultra.

Crystal has a very mild character, clean and slightly spicy, and is generally used in lagers and pilsners.

Revvy qouted this Crystal Pale Ale recipe in another thread
Quote:
Crystal Pale Ale (3 gallons)

* 7 lbs. 2 row pale malt
* 1 lb. crystal malt (40-80 L)
* 1/2 oz. Crystal hops (5% aa) - boil 60 mins.
* 1/2 oz. Crystal hops - boil last 15 mins.
* 1/2 oz. Crystal hops - dry hop after 4 days in the primary fermenter.
* 1 tsp. gypsum in mash water.
* American Ale liquid yeast.

Boil wort for one hour total. Primary ferment for 7-10 days and bottle. (Note on dry hopping: try adding hop pellets to the primary fermenter around four days after you brew. Fermentation will be pretty much over and will not blow off the hop aroma from the pellets. Hop pellets will slowly sink to the bottom of the fermenter over the next few days. This gives a beautiful hop aroma to your beer.)

I really like crystal in ales. especially when used in abundance at 10,5, 1 minute marks. Don't bitter with them, they are REALLY high in cohumulone. Bitter with magnum, try a mild amount at 30 minutes for a flavoring hop, then 10,5,and 1.

Back