Oklahoma Only Brewers Group on the HBT!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the opinion here of everyone about the local breweries producing the 4.0 beers to be sold in grocery stores, gas stations and in tap rooms?

I'm a little conflicted because I want the law to be changed, but love the ability now to get a growler of some great beer. I hope they lobby to fight the 4.0 law so I don't know how much they will after producing these beers...

What's the opinion here of everyone about the local breweries producing the 4.0 beers to be sold in grocery stores, gas stations and in tap rooms?

I'm a little conflicted because I want the law to be changed, but love the ability now to get a growler of some great beer. I hope they lobby to fight the 4.0 law so I don't know how much they will after producing these beers...

First I have heard of this. You certain it's 4.0 ABV and not the more common 4.0 ABW which is equivalent to 3.2 ABV? Thus, only distribution is changing.

I think it will expand peoples beer pallet a bit more than just BMC crap...
Hopefully they will still fight the dumb law I don't see why they wouldn't.

It should get more people to try craft here though, there are a lot of people who don't go to liquor stores for beer, some of these same people my wish to buy local now they have an option.

The liquor store owners and the BMC big boys are why we have such a hard time changing the laws, but if consumers are introduced to flavor maybe it will help.

If nothing else at least you will be able to get a decent beer on a Sunday.

Yeah...that...Weight not Volume 3.2 ABV = 4.0 ABW.:drunk:

I think it's the other way 3.2%ABW= 4% ABV. (Either way it's stupid.) It's ridiculous get with the rest of the country geez... But that's Oklahoma for you.. hopelessly old fashioned and way too stubborn for change. I love our state but sometimes it the stupidity of our old fashioned laws and unwillingness to change drive me crazy!!!!

At least one brewery is working to get around the self distribution of strong beer on premise law, and to do so is a painful process from what I've heard. SO what if these breweries start their own taprooms on premise, and start selling strong beer. Will they want to really lobby to fight that specific law?

I would guess they would want to... As I understand it now if they want to sell their own "strong" beer in their tap room they would have to sell the beer off to a distributor and buy it back from said distributor undoubtedly at a mark up, and even then they would not be able to sell growlers of the "strong" beer it would have to be consumed on premises.

Definitely a long battle, but I certainly hope the LOCAL movement can get some traction.
Has the AHA put any effort into helping improve our laws? No doubt we could have a thriving beer industry in this state, if the playing field were to be leveled.

Awesome. I was hoping the bigger local breweries would really start to fight these laws sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Last I read, Costco had a bigger influence in the potential to change the laws. Oklahoma wants their buisiness. But Costco doesn't want Oklahoma so long as their alcohol laws are so restrictive citing that a large part of their sales is due to alcohol.

I'm going to have to pick up some of this El Cucuy I've read so much about here lately. Anyone here tried this beer?

Totally agree fantastic beer. I bought a four pack then ran back and bought 2 more.

Anyone see the Coop cans at the gas stations and other non-liquor stores yet?

I've been looking around and I thought they said it would be available in November.

Mustang is getting in on the taproom growler fills now as well. It looks like this low point beer thing is really taking root.

I've been looking around and I thought they said it would be available in November.

Mustang is getting in on the taproom growler fills now as well. It looks like this low point beer thing is really taking root.

Now if we can only get the "high point" refrigeration thing to take root :rockin:

Not yet I have a lot of beer on hand I'm trying to get through right now.... It's a tough job but someone has to do it lol...

It's on my list though

I noticed they are still listing ABV instead of ABW like all the other beer in the grocery store

Anyone know of a home brew competition coming up? I really want to get some honest feedback on my beers. I love that my beer nerd friends like it, but none of them are judges that can identify off flavors and give me advice to step up my game. I'd even be up for a bottle swap or four for some feedback from some of you out there who are in the know about competitions. Thanks in advance!!!

One step closer to the 21st century! :rockin:

LOL more like the 20th century, maybe one day we will be able to get some quality beer & a bottle of wine on a Sunday and at a grocery store no less:eek:

I went to Chicago last summer & went to a grocery store downtown where you could get a glass of wine or beer while you shopped no that's the 21st century baby!:ban:

I went to Chicago last summer & went to a grocery store downtown where you could get a glass of wine or beer while you shopped no that's the 21st century baby!:ban:

Or even in my home state of Arkansas [yup] you can now get beer [and wine] samples in the store to try before you buy! What a novel idea! :cross:

One step closer to refrigeration for strong beer in liquor stores. It passed the senate committee now goes to the floor for a vote. Still don't think this means any grocery stores will be able to sell high point beer or booze but it's a step in the right direction.

It's actually kind of sad that our booze laws have been so bad for so long that I'm really excited about this. And this bill really doesn't change much of anything at all. 😕 hopefully we'll get the laws there before I kill over.

At the the very least what beer we do get here will be a little more fresh if liquor stores start refrigerating it I'm happy for that, although if it's sitting in a unrefrigerated warehouse for weeks I don't know what good that will do.

I hope next maybe they get working on allowing brewerys to distribute thier own products over 4% here I think that will do a lot more to bring in new beer and improve freshness.

One Step Closer
I guess now its down to a vote of people...yet another new law passed allows Wineries to direct ship wine to peoples homes....wtf....Don't know for sure if that has to be voted on either.

Can we let our breweries give away all the beer they want at least at the these brewery tours? They can give all of the crap wine away even at festivals or farmers markets. Not beer however.

Question where do you guys go for your supplies? I just moved to stillwater and haven't really had a chance to go wander around. Any info would be a great help. Thanks guys

Question where do you guys go for your supplies? I just moved to stillwater and haven't really had a chance to go wander around. Any info would be a great help. Thanks guys

In OKC there are a couple choices The Brew Shop or Learn to Brew I am not sure about Stillwater you may do better ordering online

And if you make it into Tulsa, there is High Gravity at 71st and Memorial.:beer:

Back