Fruit Beer Requiem Raspberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My batch tasted pretty rough at two weeks as well. It really didn't come into its own until about four weeks. The couple of early tastes were thin, bitter, and unbalanced. Approximately four weeks was the turning point where it when from poor to good. At eight weeks (I bottled on 6/8/15) it is excellent.

It's been about 5 weeks in the bottle on mine and I like it more now. I guess it was just green when I sampled the last one. I nicknamed it 'Tarty for the Party'

My wife got a good laugh out of that...

Although it's not exactly the point of the brew itself or this thread:

I've become a real fan of the base brown ale that this recipe calls for BEFORE adding the raspberries. Since the original recipe keeps the IBUs low to allow the raspberries to shine, brewing up the base ale and leaving out the raspberries yields a malty, brown, not too hoppy but still way-tasty glass full of awesome.

Next batch, as you rack to secondary, try setting a bit aside to try un-fruited, if you will. It's one of my favorites!

Do I have to rack the beer and put it back in the carboy in order to add the raspberries? I don't have 2 carboys so I don't want to risk it getting infected, after all I'd have to rack it into a bucket, clean out the carboy and then rack it back in. Could I just just wait till primary fermentation is done and then add in the raspberries?

Do I have to rack the beer and put it back in the carboy in order to add the raspberries? I don't have 2 carboys so I don't want to risk it getting infected, after all I'd have to rack it into a bucket, clean out the carboy and then rack it back in. Could I just just wait till primary fermentation is done and then add in the raspberries?

This is exactly what I did. I brewed a 6 gallon batch, let it ferment out. When the BrewPi told me the bulk of fermentation was over (watch the temperature), I popped the lid and gently set 48 oz of frozen raspberries - still frozen and in a sanitized mesh bag - right in the primary. I know the directions say to thaw and rack to a secondary, but there will be a renewed fermentation because of the sugars in the fruit. I sealed the lid, let it set fourteen days, and then racked to the bottling bucket and bottled. It came out great.

Good Luck,
Cody

This is exactly what I did. I brewed a 6 gallon batch, let it ferment out. When the BrewPi told me the bulk of fermentation was over (watch the temperature), I popped the lid and gently set 48 oz of frozen raspberries - still frozen and in a sanitized mesh bag - right in the primary. I know the directions say to thaw and rack to a secondary, but there will be a renewed fermentation because of the sugars in the fruit. I sealed the lid, let it set fourteen days, and then racked to the bottling bucket and bottled. It came out great.

Good Luck,
Cody
Thanks a ton man! greatly appreciated!

Just threw this in secondary with 2 pounds of homegrown frozen black raspberries (not blackberries. Huge difference) and 1 pound of homegrown frozen red's. I did an all grain. It tasted nutty and nice before I added the fruit. The black raz really gave it color. Cant wait to taste it when it's ready.

DeneYWq.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I just did a batch again. I took 2lbs of raspberries and just added in the primary, once the fun began again I boiled some water, added 2 more lbs, and a 1/2c sugar, then added it in. Lots of airlock activity now, and smells amazing.

Bottled today. FG of 1.010. 6 ABV. Very tart. I stuck the outlet end of my siphon hose into a bazooka strainer to keep the seeds out of the bottling bucket. Worked like a charm.

Brewed today. Was extract with 10min late additions to help keep light brown and didn't have as much boil off today so when extract was added there was extra wort by 1/2 gal so I ended up close to 5.5 into fermenter. Hit about 1.055 or 1.054 depending on the spin while Beersmith had a calc of 1.056-1.057.

I was really worried about the color being to dark but it came out very close and the wort tasted delicious!

Had to sub chinook for the northern brewer hops (I knew I forgot something when I left the LHBS).

I have had a few raspberry ales and they were faint berry with a regular beer can taste- I hope this is more red and tartraspberry with a malty and slight hop flavor. Looking forward to the fruit addition and bottling in a few weeks.

Okay, I took a stab at converting this to a 1-gallon, all-grain recipe, using the recipe in the OP and the all-grain recipe in Post #99 on Page 10 as a guide.

I'm pretty new at this, however, and would appreciate feedback on it, in case I am missing something significant. It hits the numbers very closely, but recipe development isn't always about hitting the numbers. If there are any potential errors, please let me know.

Requiem Raspberry

1 gallon
All-Grain

OG - 1.055
FG - 1.014
ABV - 5.35%
IBU - 21.91
SRM - 11.24

Fermentables

2.0 lb. American Pale 2-Row (91.3%)
0.16 lb. American CAramel/Crystal 40L (7.3%)
0.03 lb. American Roasted Barley (1.4%)

Mash at 156 Degrees for 60 Minutes

60-Minute Boil

Hops

0.15 oz. Cascade (estimated 5.4% AA) @ 60 minutes
0.05 oz. Cascade (estimated 5.4% AA) @ 30 minutes
0.05 oz. Cascade (estimated 5.4% AA) @ 7 Minutes

Yeast

Danstar Nottingham

Other Ingredients

8.0 oz. Raspberries in Secondary (after 7 days, for 7 days)

Thanks in advance -

Ron

When I did this recipe I had a mixture of red and black raspberries from my garden. Although I prefer black raspberries over red, and they are exponentially more nutritious, they are a bit tart. I would probably go all red raz or mix in some blackberry next time.
I would have made it last fall but the drought up here was brutal on the berries. The birds and squirrels were after any bit of moisture they could get at. Usually the thorns on the canes keep the critters out but I guess when you need a drank you need a drank.

Hi, Jmash, and thanks for weighing in.

We have some wonderful red raspberries in the mountains south of town, and I was planning to use those. If not them, then perhaps frozen ones, which taste almost as good. :mug:

On another note, has anyone experimented with Chocolate (or Chocolate Wheat) Malt in place of the Roasted Barley; or, can anyone offer any thoughts as to whether or not such a substitution would be a good thing?

Last year I made a lower ABV all grain version of this based off the recipe mentioned on page 3 and it was fantastic. I used 40oz of frozen red raspberries and 12oz of frozen cherries added to secondary. It dried out nicely and finished with a tartness that I really enjoyed.

I just decided to rebrew but using a mix of red raspberries and blackberries this time. Can't wait to try this again.

Last year I made a lower ABV all grain version of this based off the recipe mentioned on page 3 and it was fantastic. I used 40oz of frozen red raspberries and 12oz of frozen cherries added to secondary. It dried out nicely and finished with a tartness that I really enjoyed.

I just decided to rebrew but using a mix of red raspberries and blackberries this time. Can't wait to try this again.
I did this with a mix of red and black homegrown raspberries. It was delicious and the color was awesome

Just kegged today and the sample tasted great. I ended up adding a little lactose to sweeten but there is still plenty of tartness. Going to be great as it conditions and clears up.
razz.jpg

Back