Big clear bubbles growing in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardyexfor

Reaction score
Flanders Red: Sat in primary for five weeks. Transfered a week and a half ago. Since then I have been seeing clear bubbles forming. They have been growing in size and numbers. Is it the Brett or Lacto? It doesn't quite look like a pellicle so what is it? More curious than worried.
Thanks!

2013-01-30 17.31.10.jpg

2013-01-30 17.32.05.jpg

That looks like the beginning of a pellicle to me. I've seen those clear bubbles form after racking or taking a gravity reading/sample as a precursor to a pellicle forming. I'd always assumed it was the brett protecting itself from oxygen.

How much oak cube (weight) did you use? I have a golden Belgian that I added Brett Lacto and Pedio to, as well as fresh grapefruit juice from two large grapefruits. Was thinking about adding oak.

I soaked 1 oz. of oak cubes in Apothic Red Wine for five weeks while this sat in the primary. Then I added them along with the wine when transferring to secondary.

I also poured boiling water over the cubes and let sit for five minutes prior to their wine bath to remove some of their impact since they will be in there for so long.

Back