Coolship build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard that episode! Very informative and great show, like always. Mary and Chris do excellent work.

I'm planning a coolship beer this week. I just went to a restaurant supply store and picked up a good sized buffet pan (stainless steel) that will hold up to 5 gallons for about $20. I'm building a little wooden roof for it to keep our rain and bird **** and covering the coolship with window screen material. I'm just going to put this on the top of my flat roof (I live inner-city) and hopefully something magical happens! I'm hoping for some sourness and I want it to be 100% wild.

How long should I leave it outside before I transfer it to a secondary with all of my captured bugs and yeast? Any other tips?

FYI the temperature of my city is about 20-30C (70-85F) in the days and 10-15C (50-50F) at night.

I was planning on doing a standard saison style base beer, any other base beer style that you would suggest?

Also, is there much risk of catching something really bad... like it will make me sick if I drink it? haha

How did the build turn out? Do you have any pictures of the set up? What are the dimensions of the pan that you got? I am interested in doing this and also am in an urban area. YOur idea sounds like it will work for me.

I don't know how his turned out, but I'll tell ya you can use pretty much anything to catch yeast. Bigger is always better, but even a mason jar can work.

almost a year... you racked to secondary. Did you not taste it when racking over?

Has anyone tried a coolship similar to the one they used in brew dogs? A wooden barrel cut in half. Could be a fun way to see what wild stuff you get.

if you did that, you'd be getting whats in the barrel, not in the air. maybe the first time if the barrel was sanitized or fresh, but after that it would be the same yeast over and over. which could be great (think cantillon barrels)... however if you're truly trying to get whats in the air, copper or stainless would be preferred.

Back