black ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmm

Reaction score
how do you get the color and does anyone have a good recipe for a black ipa?

I think the idea is to take your favorite IPA recipe and add just enough dark malt (take your pick of chocolate, black patent, or roasted) to turn it black. Personally I don't care for the style; I'd rather blend a little bit of stout into an IPA. (A local pub has started doing blended beers and one of the best is a rye-pa topped with a splash of breakfast stout. Yum.)

Black or brown food coloring works well to get it nice and dark.

No.

The light roastiness of some malts (midnight wheat, carafa) are PART of the flavor profile of the beer. It should taste different from a regular IPA/IIPA. Otherwise you could add black food coloring to every beer style and create identical-tasting "new" styles. Plus, adding food coloring to beer (outside of St. Pats) is downright offensive.

i am still using extract, i would like to know more about mixing beer.

If you are doing extract, I think you could probably get away with tossing in some dehusked (special) carafa 3 in the steeped grains to make a black IPA.

Back